Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What I Am Buying Today.
(05-16-2024, 10:54 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(05-16-2024, 08:29 AM)stockguru Wrote:
(05-16-2024, 07:39 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: STAG only has a yield of 4.08%, so that's in a different class of equity altogether.  

I agree that ARCC and HTGC look a bit high, but MAIN is a proven grower (228% all time) and the price looks in line with its overall growth curve.

You’re looking at it all wrong. MAIN is only up that high because of the run this year. Without that big run it’s a different story. Which if why buying it now at or near a high; your chasing it. Just look at a 5 year chart. If normally trades in a range of $30-$40. So at these levels you’re over paying for yield. 

A lot of people on here, just buy buy buy, but have no patience waiting for a dip Wink

Sooner or later this market will correct and I can add MAIN under $40 and some other monthly etf’s or stocks. This is just my opinion. I just don’t like chasing names just for yield.

I see a clear upward trajectory through the life of this stock.

[Image: 77b4be88-814c-4c6a-a02b-b970cb05f034.png]

The 10 year growth chart is 61.57%

nice dividend but the growth, at least for the 10 year is not good

but if you go back a little further (2008) the growth looks a better--but that was during the GR and after 2009 we entered one of the greatest bull runs in history--61.57% during one of the greatest bull runs is not good
(05-16-2024, 07:30 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(05-15-2024, 04:10 PM)rayray Wrote: once i get to 5k, then the goal is 15k but sometimes it takes me a while to get there or i think the stock might not do well for a while and i take my time or i'm not confident i'll hold the stock--like DIS or SBUX

say i have the position up to 15k and then it grows to 20 to 25k--theoretically the plan is to trim and invest that 5 to 10k into another stock or stocks and get that position back to 15k

Hmmm... the problem with this algorithm is that it requires you to continually seek out new positions to invest in, and eventually you may dilute the quality of your portfolio.  I've always thought that as my portfolio grows, my "acceptable position size" would grow along with it so I could limit my holdings to ~ 30 or so.

It all depends what one chooses to do, to find "new" positions or to "add" to growing positions. I tend to add to growing positions, or to positions that I feel might eventually grow--the latter is a much harder investment strategy because it can cause years of pain, fatique and a sense of defeat.

I currently have 42 positions with about 3 to 5 that I would have no issue selling out of but don't for various reasons. If the portfolio grows I'd have no issue having about 100 positions, with todays info and technology available to individual investors I don't think 100 individual equities would be that much of a bear to handle. I know people who have hundreds of individual equities (200-300) but their portfolios are well over 3 million dollars and they use CFP's. I do have one friend worth about 2 mil with over 300 positions, which I think is ridiculous, it's too much work imho--he does manage his own portfolio.

I also like having at minimum of 15k invested in any one equity, anything less doesn't move the needle imho unless it skyrockets for some reason.

It's hard to say what I'll do in the future, sometimes I feel like I'll just move towards ETF's and call it a day and sometimes I think I might get a CFP or just keep doing what I'm doing--it's all up in the air.

If I looked at my performance and lagged the market, I'd wrap it up and accept that I'm not doing myself or loved ones any favors and go in another direction. I'd probably lean towards a series of ETF's, maybe some MF's.

There was one poster here several years ago--he was the original thread creator for "What I Am Buying Today" thread, I can't remember what his handle was?? He was a good poster and investor imho, he even had a blog with all his holdings listed with a 1000 dollar club, stocks that gave him at least 1000 dollars a year in dividends. For a fairly young guy he had a decent portfolio worth quite a bit of dollars--then one day out of the blue he posted about contemplating his strategy and said he couldn't beat the market and decided to sell out, he bought if I remember correctly 4 to 5 maybe 6 ETF's and called it a day, said he was going to (I think) retire and enjoy life.

That was it, he never posted again and his blog was erased--just like that.

He had a good blog, and was a good poster.
Main is a great one and has been good to me. I agree its a bit ahead of itself and trading above its normal range. But you can't base it off of price or where it trades at. It still trading at a nice yield of 5.8%. I have no problem for those adding on this minor dip. I can see this getting to $55. And if it goes lower, to lets say $45 you just buy more. Dollar cost average in

I added CMI, NVO, MPC, and URI

Bought DSL with my dividend pulls. I just add to this MINT, ICLO, SGOV as my monthly income names.
Wow CBRL getting crushed. Glad I sold that one long ago. They slashed guidance and cut the dividend by 80% from $1.30 to .25. Anyone still own?

We stopped going here. Service is slow and takes over an hour to get your food now.

I added a few GOOG, SMCI, BX and FANG

I trimmed some TSCO , CB and SBUX

BTW who's the guy who didn't like CELH on here? It's up $20 since then in 2 weeks. Glad I own that one Wink
(05-17-2024, 05:25 AM)rayray Wrote:
(05-15-2024, 04:10 PM)rayray Wrote: once i get to 5k, then the goal is 15k but sometimes it takes me a while to get there or i think the stock might not do well for a while and i take my time or i'm not confident i'll hold the stock--like DIS or SBUX

say i have the position up to 15k and then it grows to 20 to 25k--theoretically the plan is to trim and invest that 5 to 10k into another stock or stocks and get that position back to 15k

Hmmm... the problem with this algorithm is that it requires you to continually seek out new positions to invest in, and eventually you may dilute the quality of your portfolio.  I've always thought that as my portfolio grows, my "acceptable position size" would grow along with it so I could limit my holdings to ~ 30 or so.

It all depends what one chooses to do, to find "new" positions or to "add" to growing positions. I tend to add to growing positions, or to positions that I feel might eventually grow--the latter is a much harder investment strategy because it can cause years of pain, fatique and a sense of defeat.

There was one poster here several years ago--he was the original thread creator for "What I Am Buying Today" thread, I can't remember what his handle was?? He was a good poster and investor imho, he even had a blog with all his holdings listed with a 1000 dollar club, stocks that gave him at least 1000 dollars a year in dividends. For a fairly young guy he had a decent portfolio worth quite a bit of dollars--then one day out of the blue he posted about contemplating his strategy and said he couldn't beat the market and decided to sell out, he bought if I remember correctly 4 to 5 maybe 6 ETF's and called it a day, said he was going to (I think) retire and enjoy life.

That wasn't Alex-Hendi was it?
(05-17-2024, 02:32 PM)NilesMike Wrote:
(05-17-2024, 05:25 AM)rayray Wrote:

That wasn't Alex-Hendi was it?

I remember Hendi-Alex! He was a good poster too--but no, not him. He was a lot younger, Hendi was in his 60's.

I couldn't remember but knew if I would see the name...so I browsed through the member list

it was

rapidacid

He had a blog at one time, if I remember correctly he was into that FIRE movement but he really did have a good penny saved up--when he made the decision to sell out and go ETF route he dropped off here and closed down his blog--if i remember correctly he said something on his blog that he was off to enjoy life and not bother himself with so much stock research

poof like a fart in the wind he was gone lol