Dividend Growth Forum
Dividend Harvesting - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: Dividend Harvesting (/showthread.php?tid=1850)

Dividend Harvesting - Robandcindy2 - 04-09-2019

Not sure whether I should have put this in the "Tools" folder so feel free to move it...

Anyway, this is a request:

[attachment=221]

Retirement countdown is progressing nicely to the point that I might go early.  Too much life to live (before I/we can't).

I have been aggressively attempting to simulate retirement.  I tried several 4% Rule spreadsheets which of course really don't replicate a DGI plan.

WealthTrace does not separate dividends/interest from portfolio growth so you can't view that as an income stream the way you might view a pension or social security.

Maxifi will only show dividends/interest as an income stream in taxable accounts (most of our dollars are in 401K/IRA's).

FireCalc gets a little closer but I've read some reviews that their Monte Carlo simulation might have some flaws.

Sooooo....

Any thoughts on a way to simulate 30+ years in retirement as a Dividend "Harvester"?   Is there a spreadsheet, website I haven't tried?

I'd feel a whole lot better with a second opinion to our plan.

Cheers!

Rob

RE: Dividend Harvesting - fenders53 - 04-09-2019

Not really an answer to your question, but I have sure game planned mine a lot. I am fortunate to have some government pensions, but they kick in at different ages. I have a rental property that yields income. I could sell it and stay completely out of my stock port if the market was down. I decided I don't care if my stock port is mostly gone when I am 85 years old. I have no problem eating some of the golden good before a retirement home takes it. I will probably turn a few assets over to my daughter when I get well along in my retirement years. Hopefully in time to protect it from said retirement home. I am frugal and don't want to consume my principal, but I made financial sacrifices to build my port. You can't take it with you as they say. I don't feel the need to die a millionaire. Point being a straight 4% rule retirement spreadsheet is fairly worthless to me. My plan looks a little like this. I am going to make up some numbers for the purposes of the discussion. This all starts in three years at age 60. I am pretty much debt free now, and intend to stay that way. Maybe a car payment by then?

60-61- $50K from all sources so I can just get fully retired. If the market happens to do great the next few years then I get a raise. Make sure I have a separate fund set aside for that brand new walleye boat and a truck. The one I have now will get along until then. That's important to me.

62-70- this is retirement prime-time. All pensions have kicked in by age 6. $100K income. Maybe the market gets hit and there are some $75K years in there? Or maybe it's $110K? I a not going to worry about it because I will be OK either way.

70-75- I am starting to get old. It's a long time from now and who knows what my health will be like. Who knows what the market does in 13 years? These are potentially the go hog wild years with the money. Time to move some assets into the kids name. I'll know how financially mature she is by then.

75 til death. At the very least my pensions keep me with a reasonable income. I intent to still have a lot of my stock port though. I suspect I can get along with a little less income if that is how it turns out.

So my advice is play around with your life plan. You can tweak it as you go. A 4% plan where my income is exactly the same at age 65 as it is at age 90 makes about zero sense to me. It's OK if you disagree of course. And BTW, one of my best friend's Dad is 80 now and he has a similar situation. He says "the only thing golden about these years is my pee, and I am enjoying life with the money I saved". He did just that from age 65-80 with no regrets.

I expect most of us got here because we were spmart with our money over the years. Is it smart to act (financially) like you are 25 if you are 75? I say no it isn't.

RE: Dividend Harvesting - fenders53 - 04-09-2019

P.S. The real plan I typed out 30 years ago was retire at age 53 with a cool milly. I once thought that is all one could ever need. Not for a potential 40yr retirement it won't. We decided to alter the plan and enjoy life. We decided to retire for awhile and spent her meager retirement funds making it happen. Three years of knocking some stuff off the bucket list. Always wanted to fly fish the Alaskan bush. She loves Vegas so she does now and then. Enjoyed the three years, but northern winters were a little boring. Now back to work a few years at my Home Depot to prep for the next phase. I drive an old car now. I enjoy my job, but some people feel sorry for me. I'm thinking seriously, I'm only 57? They have no clue my retirement income will be double theirs, so that explains it I suppose.

RE: Dividend Harvesting - Kerim - 04-14-2019

I'm not aware of any excellent site or spreadsheets along the lines you're seeking, sorry. I'm always frustrated by such things because they always seem to be too high-level or generic. I often try to build my own spreadsheets and models, with very mixed success. But I do think that custom is probably the best way to go.

Has anyone worked with a planner? I've toyed with that idea too. I'd never put assets under someone else's management. But I wouldn't mind paying to have some discussions with someone knowledgable about my specific circumstances. Problem is finding the right person who is smart enough and not conflicted in some way.

RE: Dividend Harvesting - fenders53 - 04-14-2019

I have talked to a few planners. Mostly they were younger than I am and the majority of their experience in the longest bull market ever. Most of them are either conflicted, or married to their cookie cutter 4% withdrawal plan training they have never personally lived a single day of personally. I once thought this would be easy. Buy an annuity or some bonds and call it a day. I am since learned most annuities are not such a good deal, and I don't regard bonds that actually yield acceptably as all that safe in this credit crazed world.