Dividend Growth Forum
Walmart on sale? - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Individual Dividend Growth Stocks (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: Walmart on sale? (/showthread.php?tid=351)

Pages: 1 2

Walmart on sale? - DividendGarden - 01-16-2014

Walmart has pulled back to mid-$77. They've started a new trend of opening micro-stores on college campuses. Good idea or not? My new article is up. Thanks, everyone!

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1930371-wal-marts-hidden-source-of-value

RE: Walmart on sale? - EricL - 01-16-2014

I think WMT is very attractive here.

Grows earnings by 8-10% every year, solid buyback plan in place, great dividend growth, just a 15 P/E.

Pretty safe bet for 10%+ returns going forward.

RE: Walmart on sale? - DividendGarden - 01-16-2014

(01-16-2014, 09:38 AM)EricL Wrote: I think WMT is very attractive here.

Grows earnings by 8-10% every year, solid buyback plan in place, great dividend growth, just a 15 P/E.

Thanks, EricL. That's how I feel. WMT seems to alway be on my watchlist. I wouldn't expect it to be trading at 20x earnings, but I love the dividend growth.

RE: Walmart on sale? - EricL - 01-16-2014

(01-16-2014, 12:13 PM)DividendGarden Wrote:
(01-16-2014, 09:38 AM)EricL Wrote: I think WMT is very attractive here.

Thanks, EricL. That's how I feel. WMT seems to alway be on my watchlist. I wouldn't expect it to be trading at 20x earnings, but I love the dividend growth.

WMT is also due for a dividend increase with their next announcement.

RE: Walmart on sale? - Robert_NL - 01-17-2014

I have a weird feeling that doesn't make me invest in retailers: their marker is imploding because of online businesses.

RE: Walmart on sale? - hendi_alex - 01-17-2014

Walmart seems to have a strong on line presence. IMO brick and mortar combined with on line can give a company quite an advantage over a business that is all one or all the other. The name of the game now is to provide flexibility to the shopper such that shopping can take place at any location, including inside the brick and mortar. Walmart is still a bit behind in online development but I'm sure that their on line volume is increasing, and as that trend continues, so will their effort to provide a first class platform which gives customers access to many more merchandise selections than are on the shelves in the super stores. My guess is that Walmart and Amazon are the two super heavy weights when it comes to pricing power and efficient distribution systems. Because of this, I just don't see on line sales as much of a threat to Walmart.

RE: Walmart on sale? - fiveoh - 01-18-2014

(01-17-2014, 06:38 PM)hendi_alex Wrote: Walmart seems to have a strong on line presence. IMO brick and mortar combined with on line can give a company quite an advantage over a business that is all one or all the other. The name of the game now is to provide flexibility to the shopper such that shopping can take place at any location, including inside the brick and mortar. Walmart is still a bit behind in online development but I'm sure that their on line volume is increasing, and as that trend continues, so will their effort to provide a first class platform which gives customers access to many more merchandise selections than are on the shelves in the super stores. My guess is that Walmart and Amazon are the two super heavy weights when it comes to pricing power and efficient distribution systems. Because of this, I just don't see on line sales as much of a threat to Walmart.

Have you seen any numbers to back up your assumption that walmarts online business is growing? I agree with the rest of your post, but haven't been able to find online growth figures for WMT. They are also focusing a lot on grocery lately which I don't ever see being heavily online.

RE: Walmart on sale? - DividendGarden - 01-22-2014

Walmart has pulled back to $75.35 over the past few days. If you liked it at $77, you should love it at $75.

RE: Walmart on sale? - hendi_alex - 01-23-2014

I don't have any data wrt online business for Walmart, just think that such is intuitive. Walmart has a very good on line site that carries a wide array of items most of which are not carried in stores. It just makes sense that as consumers expand on line shopping, Walmart would experience healthy growth there just like everyone else who has a decent online site. Site prices are competitive and they offer free shipping on orders over $50 and free store pick up for orders under $50. They also have free returns either to the store or via mail.

RE: Walmart on sale? - DividendGarden - 01-23-2014

(01-23-2014, 09:00 AM)hendi_alex Wrote: I don't have any data wrt online business for Walmart, just think that such is intuitive. Walmart has a very good on line site that carries a wide array of items most of which are not carried in stores. It just makes sense that as consumers expand on line shopping, Walmart would experience healthy growth there just like everyone else who has a decent online site. Site prices are competitive and they offer free shipping on orders over $50 and free store pick up for orders under $50. They also have free returns either to the store or via mail.

Speaking of WMT's online capabilities, this headline just crossed my screen:

http://seekingalpha.com/news/1522831-wal-mart-not-shying-away-from-amazon-challenge

RE: Walmart on sale? - EricL - 01-23-2014

(01-23-2014, 11:41 AM)DividendGarden Wrote:
(01-23-2014, 09:00 AM)hendi_alex Wrote: I don't have any data wrt online business for Walmart, just think that such is intuitive. Walmart has a very good on line site that carries a wide array of items most of which are not carried in stores. It just makes sense that as consumers expand on line shopping, Walmart would experience healthy growth there just like everyone else who has a decent online site. Site prices are competitive and they offer free shipping on orders over $50 and free store pick up for orders under $50. They also have free returns either to the store or via mail.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/1522831-wal-mart-not-shying-away-from-amazon-challenge

I was just about to post a similar article. I think WMT will do fine, their distribution network and cost controls are far and above most other retailers.

RE: Walmart on sale? - DividendGarden - 01-24-2014

(01-23-2014, 12:34 PM)EricL Wrote:
(01-23-2014, 11:41 AM)DividendGarden Wrote:

I was just about to post a similar article. I think WMT will do fine, their distribution network and cost controls are far and above most other retailers.

Don't look now, but they're trading at $74.45. Buy now, or hope for lower?