Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Currency Exchange and Stock Purchase Pt.2
Hey Russellhantz,
Ive been thinking a lot about this too lately, but I continue to buy US equities even though we are at 1.34.  Where will the exchange rate go? I dont know. The current consensus is that the US$ will continue to grow stronger.

One aspect that I find comforting is: even though I am paying more for the initial purchase, the dividends received are also in US$, which means that the dividend rewards are also juicier Smile

Personally, I think there are two ways to take advantage of this currency trend (until the US$ tops off):
  1. Look for companies with a lot of earnings in the US and reports in CAD$ (the strong US$ will help the balance sheets and overall financials). Off the top of my head - I can think of RY.TO, TD.TO, CNR.TO, (ENB/TRP perhaps?).  
  2. Companies trading on TSX but report financials in US$ - and more importantly, the dividends are declared and issued in US$. Companies include: AGU.TO, AQN.TO, MG.TO, BIP.UN.TO etc. I own these companies - so my returns are just that much more juicier. Note that depending on the company - if it has a lot of operations outside US, then the strong US$ also means that there are medium term headwinds because of the fact that the financials are reported in US$.
Remember that this little tweak will not work out so great after the US$ top offs and/or if the CAD$ gets stronger. This is more of a short/medium term tailwind.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Currency Exchange and Stock Purchase Pt.2 - by Roadmap2Retire - 12-02-2015, 12:22 PM