Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calculating my portfolio's yield
Hey aagha –

I can’t point you to any simple online tool, though I am sure they exist. I use an excel spreadsheet to track my portfolio that I’ve come up with myself. It has evolved over the years, and I have spent so much time with it that it is very intuitive and helpful to me. I’m not sure if others would find it useful.

To answer your question though, note that there are various yields you might be interested in. My spreadsheet, for example, tracks for each stock I own:
  • the current dividend yield (reflecting the current share price),
  • the initial yield I locked in at the time of purchase (reflecting the share price I bought at), and
  • the yield on cost (reflecting dividend increases since I bought).
Just for fun I also added a projected yield that incorporates my guess about the stock’s next dividend increase.

Then on top of all that, I calculate my average portfolio yields for all of the above as well.

Looking at all of that together helps me to keep a close eye on my portfolio’s performance.

If you’d find it helpful, maybe I can post some screenshots of my spreadsheet(s), or maybe I could even send you a template to noodle with.

Good luck!

Kerim

Messages In This Thread
Calculating my portfolio's yield - by aagha - 06-17-2013, 06:03 PM
RE: Calculating my portfolio's yield - by Kerim - 06-20-2013, 08:49 PM
RE: Calculating my portfolio's yield - by cannew - 09-23-2013, 07:22 AM
RE: Calculating my portfolio's yield - by Kerim - 07-12-2013, 04:38 PM
RE: Calculating my portfolio's yield - by samuelN - 09-17-2013, 04:55 PM
RE: Calculating my portfolio's yield - by Kerim - 09-17-2013, 06:43 PM
RE: Calculating my portfolio's yield - by JDurham - 12-20-2013, 04:11 PM
RE: Calculating my portfolio's yield - by Kerim - 12-20-2013, 06:59 PM