Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi All, new to forum
I'm probably just a marginal fit here, but am always learning and always adjusting/tweaking my investment strategies.

My main IRA portfolio is actively managed with lots of covered call writing and lots of annual turnover, but most always with over sized dividend paying stocks. My newly formed cash account (first funding spring 2012) is being constructed as a dividend machine for the long haul. All positions are taken with the idea of holding long term. However, since retired and in my mid 60's, the dividend yield is somewhat more important to me than is the dividend growth, so am striving for an average yield of about 6%. Dividend growth is really just factored in via eye balling the long term payout amount. My intention is to not spend our social security directly, but rather to place nearly 100% of those checks into to the cash account, and to only spend the income that gets generated there. Over time, fresh funding plus dividend growth should help offset the effects of inflation on our overall income.

Long term income portfolio, about equally weighted:
CSG KMP MCY O ORI POT RDS.B SSL TGP

Main IRA account with weighting of larger positions: AAPL (10%) CCJ (8%) CSCO (7%) ECA (7%) EWZ GE (8%) GLOG INTC (13%) NAT PBA

Everything in the IRA is currently covering calls except half of ECA, GLOG, 1/3 of NAT, and PBA. The calls brought in $9369 and have calls dates between October and April. The call income provides quite a boost, usually doubling or tripling the dividend payout. Problem is, in a rising market, the positions keep getting called and obviously some capital gains are lost. For this reason, I'll not sell any calls against long term positions.

I'm currently about 30%-32% cash. About a third of the cash is waiting for deployment when some short term opportunity arises, 1/3 is available for distribution this January, and 1/3 is available for deployment during the next black swan event.

I'll visit here for a while to see whether my interests and the board's interests represent a decent fit. For me it is mostly about income generation with secondary emphasis on longer term growth.
Alex

Messages In This Thread
Hi All, new to forum - by hendi_alex - 09-25-2013, 09:16 AM
RE: Hi All, new to forum - by TomK - 09-25-2013, 10:30 AM
RE: Hi All, new to forum - by hendi_alex - 09-25-2013, 12:07 PM
RE: Hi All, new to forum - by Kerim - 09-25-2013, 06:05 PM
RE: Hi All, new to forum - by ronn38 - 09-25-2013, 06:30 PM
RE: Hi All, new to forum - by Ok Red - 09-25-2013, 08:46 PM
RE: Hi All, new to forum - by ChadR - 09-25-2013, 08:56 PM
RE: Hi All, new to forum - by hendi_alex - 09-25-2013, 09:16 PM
RE: Hi All, new to forum - by Kerim - 09-26-2013, 07:01 AM