Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calculating investment returns: Actuarially speaking, 6% is a good rule of thumb.
Like you say this is an information forum. I'm not trying to convince others to agree with my strategy which is:

- to find a group of stocks which have paid and increased their dividend over a long term
- buy them at a value price
- hold them and allow the dividend to grow
- monitor them to insure the dividend is safe and continues to grow
- never sell, but add to those positions, again when they are value priced
- In 2008\2009 only one stock of 27 cut the dividend while 12 increased and the rest kept them the same.
- Since then I've dropped to 22 stocks and none have cut their dividend. 18 have increased the dividend at an average of 9% per yr,
- I added to my positions during 2009\2010 of the stocks I held and my YOC has increased considerably
- I could care less if the capital goes up or down (it dropped 35% 2008\2009) as long as the dividends continue to increase (they did at a much slower rate).
- some of my previous buys have not recovered to their original purchase, but I'm ahead on all of them and my income from all of the stocks continue to increase.
- to me its the income I watch and concerned about. As long as it continues to grow at a rate faster than inflation I'm happy. The capital growth will follow, which it has. However, when the next crisis comes the capital will drop (regardless of Asset Allocation & diversification), but I really don't care. That's when I'll buy more of what I already own (not new stocks).

If others wish to sell what they own and buy new stocks in the search for better returns, try to match or beat certain markets, or if their goal is to increase their capital holdings value, good luck.

I don't want to claim capital gains, pay taxes, pay commissions or spend my time looking for better holdings.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Calculating investment returns: Actuarially speaking, 6% is a good rule of thumb. - by cannew - 10-02-2013, 11:49 AM