Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post BREXIT....Breathe....Breathe
Mostly for those new to DGI (but we can all use a reminder now and then) I offer up these classics to help you through BREXIT:

What The Great Recession Taught Me About Dividend Growth Investing

Dividend Growth Investing Requires Perseverance

Dividend Investing During the Financial Crisis

And of course:

Miller's "The Single Best Investment"

Cheers,

Rob
There are people who use up their entire lives making money so they can enjoy the lives they have entirely used up
Frederick Buechner
Nice! And timely. Looks like it is going to be an interesting day in the markets. If we were not already near all-time highs, I'd say it would be a bargain-hunting opportunity.
Irrational short term drops like these are the best time for buying.

For example, if you were considering purchasing $2,000 of a great company that was a tad expensive such as:
Orig Price: $100
EPS: $5
Div: $3
P/E of 20
Div yield of 3%
Payout ratio of 60%

But the market drops and gives you an opportunity:
New Price: $80
EPS: $5
Div: $3
P/E of 16
Div yield of 3.75%
Payout ratio of 60%

Temporary market craziness gifted you cheaper dividend producing shares you would be buying anyway. Instead of buying 20 shares for a total of $60 in yearly dividends, you could buy 25 shares for a total of $75 in dividends.
Ouch! My aching oil stocks!
Just to put things in perspective on how bad this all is:

1 day performance of the SP500

[Image: Screen_Shot_2016_06_24_at_07_54_39.png]

1 Week Performance

[Image: Screen_Shot_2016_06_24_at_07_54_29.png]

The British are frantically Googling what the E.U. is, hours after voting to leave it

I'm starting to believe ppl don't deserve democracy.
Agree, just breathe. Every 7-8 years, we seems to have black swans like this. It's important to not react, but think clearly. Dust off your shopping list, focus on what business models aren't changing with the news (people will still buy daipers, etc), and be proactive.
Love those perspective charts, Rasec -- thanks!
1/3 of my positions are hitting or very close to hitting 52 weeks high today... as strange as that may sound! 

[Image: Screen_Shot_2016_06_24_at_10_43_55.png]

On the opposite direction only 4 are close to the 52 week low (GILD, VLO, WFC, APPL).
Held off buying today, I don't think we've hit bottom yet.
(06-24-2016, 03:37 PM)navyasw02 Wrote: Held off buying today, I don't think we've hit bottom yet.
Ditto

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I nibbled..But more dry powder in case of more volatility. Might take several week or months to unwind.