Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to DGF
(04-30-2015, 01:41 PM)rapidacid Wrote:
(04-29-2015, 09:13 PM)stewardinlife Wrote: rapidacid, can you please educate me as to your suggestion to swap in XOM for COP? Thanks. -- Paul

That could be an extremely long answer, but from a purely quantitative perspective the recent buyback yield, dividend growth rate, cash flow, payout ratio and fwd p/e are enough to easily tip the scale in favor of XOM in my opinion

[Image: 8A6CE3F.png]

[Image: bc14xNQ.png]

Thanks rapidacid. Just curious, what program did you use to come up with the screen shot that you have provided -- Seems to be very nice with all the mertics nicely laid forth. Thanks againn
(04-30-2015, 04:34 PM)stewardinlife Wrote: Thanks rapidacid. Just curious, what program did you use to come up with the screen shot that you have provided -- Seems to be very nice with all the mertics nicely laid forth. Thanks againn

https://www.stockrover.com/

I'm not affiliated with them but I do pay for it and I do recommend it. You can create your own screeners and associate value with each metric, thereby creating a score for each equity.

You can see in the screenshot that by the metrics I value for my best ideas XOM scores 72.45 / 100 and COP scores 61.5 / 100

I own both XOM and COP in my taxable account and given those scores XOM has the 7th highest score in my portfolio and COP is good for 43rd out of 67 total positions.

Not that it really matters but here's the top 20 scoring equities in my portfolio, all graded against the same criteria you see in the XOM / COP screenshots

[Image: sMYYijc.png]

(04-30-2015, 05:46 PM)rapidacid Wrote:
(04-30-2015, 04:34 PM)stewardinlife Wrote: Thanks rapidacid. Just curious, what program did you use to come up with the screen shot that you have provided -- Seems to be very nice with all the mertics nicely laid forth. Thanks againn

https://www.stockrover.com/

I'm not affiliated with them but I do pay for it and I do recommend it. You can create your own screeners and associate value with each metric, thereby creating a score for each equity.

You can see in the screenshot that by the metrics I value for my best ideas XOM scores 72.45 / 100 and COP scores 61.5 / 100

I own both XOM and COP in my taxable account and given those scores XOM has the 7th highest score in my portfolio and COP is good for 43rd out of 67 total positions.

Not that it really matters but here's the top 20 scoring equities in my portfolio, all graded against the same criteria you see in the XOM / COP screenshots

[Image: sMYYijc.png]

Thanks for the explanation. I can see it. I am going to consider the tool.

Also, I think Eric was mentioning FAST graphs also.

Paul
All,

I've opened up a brokerage acct. with Tradeking Monday, and will be purchasing few items tomorrow or Friday, with my intitial 3K.

I think I've come up with the following for the initial purchase:

JNJ, KO, O to start with and buy 15, 20, 13 quantities respectively (around).

I've chosen these from my initial collection of:
Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), Altria Group Inc (MO), ConocoPhillips (COP), KO
Chevron Corporation (CVX), XOM,
Procter & Gamble (PG),
Philip Morris International Inc. (PM)
Realty Income Corp. (O)
Kinder Morgan Inc. (KMI)

Love to hear your input if this is a good pick to start with, or anything better suited for this time. Also, is it better to purchase one stock worth the 3K, instead of diversifying across 3 different ones?

Thanks.

Paul
Paul, those are nice picks and fair values right now also. Possible core positions that will bring many smiles 20 years from now and beyond.

I was reading KO's financials the other day and noticed something in the notes that referred to a recent non-cash charge. I think my mental calculations brought the ttm P/E down to the 20 range which is probably a fair value for KO right now. Don't remember which report it was.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

That's a great looking list stewardinlife...KO, CVX, XOM, PG, PM, MO all on my watch list...I am tending towards CVX as best value currently, but very happy for other opinions Smile
I like the picks. My only quibble would maybe be with O at current prices, as it seems a bit pricey yet and I would be looking for at least a 5% yield there.

But overall, I think your shopping list is excellent, as I own all but PG and JNJ.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Thanks guys.

I am going for JNJ and KO for sure. But will have to decide on the 3rd one.

Will let you know.

You guys are great!

Paul
I'm going with JNJ, KO and PM tomorrow.
Wink 
(05-07-2015, 05:57 PM)stewardinlife Wrote: I'm going with JNJ, KO and PM tomorrow.

Perfect.

3 very solid choices.
Thank you all for the feedback -- I finished purchasing JNJ, KO, PM.

Is this normal to see the loss amt. in red at certain days? (see attached pic)

Thanks.

Paul