Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello Everyone!
Hello Everyone!

I'm a 21 years old and very much a novice to the investment scene. I live at home and commute to a state college to minimize my liabilities, and have the benefit of having my parents pay for car insurance, health insurance, and meals at home. The only expense I have is the occasional night out with friends. Absolutely no liabilities (death to liabilities! I went to a state school for this reason)

I work at a retail store and make about 16.50/hr while going to college, and make about 1500 a month, 95% of which is untouched. So I've been reading and educating myself as much as possible on bonds and stocks, specifically long term dividend growth strategies. So far I have read the Intelligent Investor, The Ultimate Dividend Playbook by Josh Peters, and The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing by Jason Kelly. (any other recommendations are welcome!)

I've come to this forum to continue to develop my knowledge and to invest my money wisely and defensively to develop a strong financial future for myself. I will likely be a lurker and keep my mouth shut as well as attempt to extract information from your intelligent and seasoned minds!

Thank you guys for the opportunity to let me come here, ask questions, and learn!

~NotExactly.
Excellent, glad to see you here. I'll trade you 1,000 shares of KMI to be 21 again.

Would be great to be 21 again, but only if able to keep wisdom of current age!
Alex
Oh, how I wish I started investing at 21. As they say - its not about timing the market, its the time in the market that counts. You sure can build up a great portfolio and a nice income stream starting now.

Looking forward to more interaction. Welcome to the forum.
(05-07-2015, 07:57 PM)notexactly Wrote: Hello Everyone!

I'm a 21 years old and very much a novice to the investment scene. I live at home and commute to a state college to minimize my liabilities, and have the benefit of having my parents pay for car insurance, health insurance, and meals at home. The only expense I have is the occasional night out with friends. Absolutely no liabilities (death to liabilities! I went to a state school for this reason)

I work at a retail store and make about 16.50/hr while going to college, and make about 1500 a month, 95% of which is untouched. So I've been reading and educating myself as much as possible on bonds and stocks, specifically long term dividend growth strategies. So far I have read the Intelligent Investor, The Ultimate Dividend Playbook by Josh Peters, and The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing by Jason Kelly. (any other recommendations are welcome!)

I've come to this forum to continue to develop my knowledge and to invest my money wisely and defensively to develop a strong financial future for myself. I will likely be a lurker and keep my mouth shut as well as attempt to extract information from your intelligent and seasoned minds!

Thank you guys for the opportunity to let me come here, ask questions, and learn!

~NotExactly.

Welcome to the forum! You have the two of greatest traits for dividend growth investing; time for compounding and an eagerness to learn.

The one book that started it all for me was "The Single Best Investment" from Lowell Miller. I believe there is a link to a PDF of the book in the resources section.

Good luck!
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Welcome.
Being so young and having so much extra cash left over each month... I think you will be getting off to a very fast start. I started when I was 23, wish I would have been as smart as you and realized these things a couple years earlier.

There is one thing that worries me though... you are 21 and you say that you only spend about $75 each month. You are young, you have a pretty good income, go and have some fun! Not saying spend all your cash, but you can certainly afford to spend a bit more. You only live once and saving 95% of what you earn seems a bit too much, especially now that you are young and have the time and money to do stuff.

I'm really not far from your particular situation right now. And I could be at home right now and invest an extra $1000 this week. Instead I'm abroad for a long weekend, in a nice apartment with a lovely girl. Not sure if this is a smart thing to do on any level, but it certainly is a lot of fun... and in the end that is the point isn't it?
(05-08-2015, 05:59 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Welcome.
Being so young and having so much extra cash left over each month... I think you will be getting off to a very fast start. I started when I was 23, wish I would have been as smart as you and realized these things a couple years earlier.

There is one thing that worries me though... you are 21 and you say that you only spend about $75 each month. You are young, you have a pretty good income, go and have some fun! Not saying spend all your cash, but you can certainly afford to spend a bit more. You only live once and saving 95% of what you earn seems a bit too much, especially now that you are young and have the time and money to do stuff.

I'm really not far from your particular situation right now. And I could be at home right now and invest an extra $1000 this week. Instead I'm abroad for a long weekend, in a nice apartment with a lovely girl. Not sure if this is a smart thing to do on any level, but it certainly is a lot of fun... and in the end that is the point isn't it?

Hey crimsonghost747.
You are definitely right, at the end of the day you have to enjoy life. I feel like I have exaggerated by saying 95% goes untouched. Looking at the past 3 months, I average spent about 152.34 a month out of my pay check. Right now I feel like I am having a blast, I go out to a restaurant or two a month with my girlfriend, and I play a lot of sports and physical activities with my buddies which costs nothing. Right now I'm enjoying the simple life: Learning and growing through academics, savings and investing for future financial health, and cultivating relationships with my significant other, friends and family.

Later on I absolutely see myself traveling, maybe taking up martial arts lessons, going to a winery for a weekend, and other more costly activities. But for now and the next 2-3 years, I am content being frugal and enjoying the basics.

(05-07-2015, 09:19 PM)EricL Wrote:
(05-07-2015, 07:57 PM)notexactly Wrote: Hello Everyone!

~NotExactly.

Welcome to the forum! You have the two of greatest traits for dividend growth investing; time for compounding and an eagerness to learn.

The one book that started it all for me was "The Single Best Investment" from Lowell Miller. I believe there is a link to a PDF of the book in the resources section.

Good luck!

Hey there.

Thanks for the recommendation, I just picked up the PDF from
your thread and will spend the next couple days on it. Thanks for sharing that resource with everyone, you are awesome.
Welcome! Your making a wsie decision that will pay off before you know it!

Ronn