Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greed or Gullibility
I was reading Bob Ciura's post on Gilead on SA and came across this in the comment section:

Quote:Yes, but how many either forget or are ignorant of the fact that GILD was up to $123 a share. There are many, as myself, unfortunate to have bought it after its crest, and little did we know that this stock would lose us all the wealth we had taken years to gain. Few on these boards have been sympathetic; actually, many have been extremely nasty and abusive to us.

It is easy NOW for those who have picked up GILD at $82-$84 to be celebrating the now rising stock. You don't know what it is to be an investor who bought at what turned out to be the absolute worst time in the stock's history, and have been financially ruined the fall that appeared endless. How would YOU handle watching it drop, day after day, week after week, and, not wanting to take the loss, simply held on with hope until the day came where you decided you must sell as you cannot take any more of the tremendous losses you incurred. And, THEN, to watch how cleverly the filth of Wall Street played with this - pushing it up a little, then down, because their experts and their machines and algorithms told them GILD was bottoming. And, they actively and relentlessly kept performing their manipulations to TRICK the regular investor, like myself, into NOT buying back in, and waiting for the stock to come back to where I gave it away, but the window for that chance was a very narrow one I missed.

But these are the parts of the whole GILD scenario that isn't addressed or recognized by most all articles. It's either bullish commentary or bearish commentary; neither of which provides one iota of help for those like myself who lost countless amounts of money, and can't find a way back.

While I feel sorry for this bloke, I wonder why he purchased it in the first place. I'm guessing he didn't do much of his own analysis and probably bought on one of those "Rah Rah, GILD" articles thinking he was going to become rich(er) overnight.

I bought GILD before they even announced their dividend as a speculative play thinking, with that much cash floating around, they would either start returning some of that cash to investors or make some spectacular acquisition that would have every one wanting to pile in. I obviously was hoping for the former and sure enough, they did. I also think it was prudent, since they obviously are being very picky about an acquisition, that the board only raised the dividend by 10% on the anniversary of the dividend initiation. Yes, I'm ignoring the huge buybacks since I think part of that is to limit the total dollar amount of dividend liability to maintain a healthy dividend growth rate without stressing their cash needs when they're required. It sets investor expectations and the possibility of future dividend growth that is not outrageously unsustainable.

But I digress. I wonder what this commentator's expectations were when he bought. It's obvious he's not thinking of the long term and is setting himself up to be a long term under-performer by buying high and selling low in whatever shiny stock he's looking at. It's also sad that he's blaming the "filth of Wall Street" for his own blunders and inability to decide what he should do next.

I think it's a cautionary tale for all of us to not let emotions rule our investing decisions.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Loosing everything? What was he doing? Buying on margin with money he didn't have to begin with? If he was, then he wasn't investing, he was gambling and shame on him.

And if you did your "DD" and came to the conclusion that it was worth your hard earned dollars at $120 then seeing others lucky to be buying at the current mid 80's price range, then why not average down?

“If you aren’t thinking about owning a stock for 10 years, don’t even think about owning it for 10 minutes.”

Warren Buffett
I could say a lot of things about this guy's comments which I'm sure you all agree with and dont need to be rehashed, but he highlights a good lesson learned is that financial commentary should be taken with a grain of salt. I just saw something on CNBC this week about how the market is looking good and these same chuckleheads 3 weeks ago were saying the sky is falling.
(05-30-2016, 12:00 PM)navyasw02 Wrote: I just saw something on CNBC this week about how the market is looking good and these same chuckleheads 3 weeks ago were saying the sky is falling.

Chuckleheads ... gotta love it. I agree, asw, it's laughable to watch these guys.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan