Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Target (TGT) Looks Solid
(08-29-2013, 06:12 AM)Cardiac Wrote: But I was fortunate enough to move to cash before the recession and get back in fro the ride up. My Portfolio value did great throughout out that time. But now my focus is DGI. Hard to be right and market time like that. I got lucky LOL

That is fortunate -- a little luck goes a long way in investing! But you did have to make those calls, so perhaps it was not entirely luck... Smile
Having to be right twice.... not always easy. Also as my retirement account is now in the mid 6 figures... the sphincter factor of those calls become more of an issue. I am much happier with the switch to a DGI style 1.5 years ago

(09-01-2013, 05:42 PM)Kerim Wrote:
(08-29-2013, 06:12 AM)Cardiac Wrote: But I was fortunate enough to move to cash before the recession and get back in fro the ride up. My Portfolio value did great throughout out that time. But now my focus is DGI. Hard to be right and market time like that. I got lucky LOL

That is fortunate -- a little luck goes a long way in investing! But you did have to make those calls, so perhaps it was not entirely luck... Smile
(09-03-2013, 10:38 AM)Cardiac Wrote: the sphincter factor of those calls become more of an issue.

LOL! It's a good problem to have, though.
That sphincter factor is exactly why I'm sitting on piles of cash right now...
(09-03-2013, 11:09 AM)Ok Red Wrote: That sphincter factor is exactly why I'm sitting on piles of cash right now...

Wouldn't a chair be more comfortable?Smile
Nice article on Target today on Seeking Alpha.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1881651-...nvironment
I've been thinking a lot about adding a few more shares of Target to my holdings. I bought back in August in the low 70s, and it was a high-conviction buy for me at the time. I admit to being a bit disheartened that it fell so far and so quickly from there, but really I should welcome the price decline with open arms. I don't see a lot of screaming deals out there for my favorite dividend growth stocks right now, so I have not been actively buying much. But if I like TGT in the low 70s, I should love it in the low to mid-60s. I absolutely should take the opportunity to lower my average cost per share.
TomK,

I recently purchased some shares in TGT in the mid-$60s. I think it's attractive here. The historical dividend growth has been phenomenal, but they will likely see EPS fluctuations in the short term due to expansion efforts in Canada and the divestiture of the credit card receivables business.
I wonder how this credit card fiasco is going to hurt Target this quarter. Terrible timing a week before Christmas.

This, coupled with the slow roll-out and under-performance of new stores in Canada could lead to some weak earnings in the next quarter or two. Might be a chance to get it in the $50's before all is said and done.
I bought in at $63.10. As long as the dividend seems safe and sustainable and dividend growth remains strong, I will be happy to hold and reinvest the dividends.
(12-20-2013, 04:15 PM)rnsmth Wrote: I bought in at $63.10. As long as the dividend seems safe and sustainable and dividend growth remains strong, I will be happy to hold and reinvest the dividends.

I'm long since February at about $64 and agree that with your assessment.
Target in the 50's would be a great Xmas gift :-)

Ronn