Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello everyone!
Hello everyone my name is Chris. 

I just joined the forum after checking out all the good discussions on dividend investing and I wanted to introduce myself. 

I’m from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, I’m 30 years old, married and working on paying off my house. I currently have been only investing in my rrsp portfolio but have been researching getting into the stock market for a long time. Im going to be setting up my online trading account this week and would love to hear suggestions on what would be a good dividend stock start up would be! I would like to stick with Canadian company’s to avoid any tax complications.

My goal would be to be able to receive enough income from dividends to eventually replace the incomeI bring in to retire early (a dream I share with probably everyone on here). I also want to have fun doing it, I hear getting those dividend cheques can be very addicting!

Thanks in advance for everyone’s suggestions and helpful advice.
Welcome!
Maybe not for everyone, but I personally find the dividends VERY addicting.

Welcome Chris and thanks much for joining up!
Welcome, Chris.

I believe investing in your RSP negates the tax issues since the U.S. has a tax treaty with Canada and tax withholding in a retirement vehicle negates any withholding issues. Perhaps another Canadian can chime in on this detail.

In the meantime, if it were me, I'd start out with one of the Canadian banks RY/BMO/TD/BNS/CM. The Canadian banking regulations are more conservative than the wild west U.S. You won't get rich overnight but they've been steady dividend payers (and increasers) for a long period of time.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan