Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appreciate your review and feedback on my portfolio
Hello all:

I was very inspired by this forum and started learning and about over a year ago I started doing a dividend investment thru a brokerage.

I would very much appreciate your feedback/input or your critique on my current holdings. I am not sure if I am concentrating more in one sector, or don't have much in other sectors, or if I am missing something important.  I really value your expert opinions and feedback.

Thanks again.

Below is an attachment of my current holdings:

Attached Files Image(s)

I like what you did with your portfolio. The only name I don't like because I think they have issues going forward is OHI. Maybe add a few tech names like MSFT, CSCO or IBM

KMI and PM are great buy right now and would add to those names.

Maybe switch OHI for STAG. STAG to me represents a great bargain now and pays a monthly dividend.

Great job!
Overall, I think it looks great. We share quite a few of the same companies.

At quick glance it looks to me that you are a bit light in utilities and health care as I see just SO for a utility and JNJ/GILD for health care.

I also don't see any tech either.

Some potential ideas are D, NEE, WEC, XEL, LNT for utilities; ABT, BAX, BDX, SYK, UNH for health care; and AAPL, ADP, CSCO, MA, MSFT, TXN, V for technology.

Good luck!
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
I like your portfolio. We share a lot of the same companies. One question, do you have dividend reinvestment on JNJ & UNP and not the others?

I would echo Eric and say that you might want to add some technology in the future. Though with a starting portfolio, don't add it just to add it. Always look for the best value when starting. Eventually, technology will be a screaming value and then you can load up on it.
Do you have any strategies/rules for when to sell to avoid losses, or are you long no matter what happens? Thinking about KMI & OHI
Thanks all for your valuable input and time! I needed to hear this exactly.

I'll plan to look for and add for Util/Tech/Health care.

ChadR - Yes, I have set dividend reinvestment on JNJ & UNP and not the others -- I was collecting dividends in the brokerage account, and once it reaches a value, I'm adding some money and buying any bargain stocks. But, I am not sure if this is the best approach, I might just set dividend reinvestment on all, if it's better -- Any thoughts?

Also, I do want to sell OHI and maybe buy STAG? I have never sold anything so far, mostly trying to do a buy and hold approach -- But for OHI, would like to sell and get something else. Can I just do a sell thru my brokerage? Are there any tax things I need to take note of? 

Also, can any of you give me some ideas on when to sell or rules to set for when to sell?

Thanks again.
(01-10-2018, 06:06 PM)stewardinlife Wrote: Hello all:

I was very inspired by this forum and started learning and about over a year ago I started doing a dividend investment thru a brokerage.

I would very much appreciate your feedback/input or your critique on my current holdings. I am not sure if I am concentrating more in one sector, or don't have much in other sectors, or if I am missing something important.  I really value your expert opinions and feedback.

Thanks again.

Below is an attachment of my current holdings:

I would bring in a column for sector so you can analyze your total market value and total income by sector (consumer goods, tech, utilities, etc).