Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Guy, but new to the Stock Market
Hello all.

I'm 46 and just started investing in the Stock Market a few months ago.
The small company I work for doesn't pay much or have any benefits.

So, a few months ago, I had an epiphany that I had better get something going and was looking at different ways to invest.

I discovered dividends. I started doing some reading and tossing money in my Brokerage account.
I'm really small time, 25-100 or so most weeks, if the rest of my bills and life events allow...

Most of you probably have more in just one company than I have in my whole portfolio..

I'm hoping that if I stay with this that in a few years I'll see my Dividends via the DRIP, start compounding and take off...

I know I'm in it for the long haul, but it sure is nice to see some progress...
Welcome to the forum. Not a bad time at all to start. We are at different stages of our investing careers here. What do you have in your port so far? It doesn't matter if it's one share or 1000. We all started with that first purchase. Build a diversified portfolio of high quality stocks and watch it grow over time. As your luck would have it everything is on sale again today. Smile
Welcome. Better to start at 46 than at 66. It's never to late to start investing in dividend stocks. And as a soon to be 45 year old, you're not an old guy, you're still young.
Glad you found us and joined up!

Yeah, we all had to start somewhere. It is slow going, but watching the dividend stream start to increase really keeps you motivated! And as scary as the world is at the moment, you sure can grab some unbelievable yields from great companies. MO and XOM are both yielding 9 percent right now. Unbelievable. That'll give your new portfolio a jump-start!
(03-12-2020, 03:27 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Welcome to the forum.  Not a bad time at all to start.  We are at different stages of our investing careers here.  What do you have in your port so far?   It doesn't matter if it's one share  or 1000.  We all started with that first purchase.  Build a diversified portfolio of high quality stocks and watch it grow over time.  As your luck would have it everything is on sale again today.  Smile

Well from most to least, I have shares of:
IBIO
OWCP
OXLC
F
SKT
DHT
GE
INO
T
GPRO
OCSL
GTLOX
M
NOK
PLUG
O
AMC
DOW
FCEL
KOS
VZ
MAIN
SID
VER

A few of them, I have enough of to where every payout, using DRIP, they should buy at least 1 share.
I'm trying to get the compounding going...

Thinking about taking a bit of cash out of my savings to buy in this big dip....
(03-12-2020, 08:09 PM)Kerim Wrote: Glad you found us and joined up!

Yeah, we all had to start somewhere. It is slow going, but watching the dividend stream start to increase really keeps you motivated! And as scary as the world is at the moment, you sure can grab some unbelievable yields from great companies. MO and XOM are both yielding 9 percent right now. Unbelievable. That'll give your new portfolio a jump-start!

Thanks.  I'll check those out and likely add a few after I do my bills this weekend. I hate doin bills...  Smile
That's quite a list. Look at the Dividend aristocrat list if you are adding anymore companies. There are many on sale with extremely solid dividend growth rate histories. I'm not familiar with most of your current holdings.
Hello all, longtime lurker 1st time poster lol.
I got into dividend investing a few years ago after rolling over a retirement account and learning how to manage it myself.
Have gotten many tips from you all and am dabbling in selling options.
(03-16-2020, 11:47 AM)john Wrote: Hello all, longtime lurker 1st time poster lol.
I got into dividend investing a few years ago after rolling over a retirement account and learning how to manage it myself.
Have gotten many tips from you all and am dabbling in selling options.

Welcome John, you should dabble in posting to the forum more.  Everyone here tries to be helpful.  It's a knowledgeable bunch. I sell a ton of options when the market is right for it.