Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
100% Dividend Growth Stocks
How many DG investors would be or are 100% invested in the dividend growth strategy?

I am 100% with my portfolio at 6 figures while my wife is 80% also six figures.
What is up cannew? Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting!

My dividend growth portfolio is only about (very roughly) one third of my total retirement savings. This is largely because my 401k does not provide for purchase of individual stocks, and so all of the money I've got accumulated there is in mutual funds. Then I also keep a pretty good pile of cash too, because I absolutely love the peace of mind that it provides me. Finally, I've got some non-401k money in mutual funds from my pre-DG days. I think eventually I'll transition that to my dividend growth portfolio, but for now I am happy with it as is.
In Canada there is no such Mutual fund restriction in the registered accounts. Between my wife and I we hold 22 individual stocks.
I'd guess I'm around 95% DGI now in my personal accounts. I have a couple spec plays and cyclicals that I haven't traded out yet.
Everyone should have cash or savings for emergency and basic living. I do believe that one should have 3 to 6 months of expense cash and\or a line of credit (used only for emergency and paid back fast).

Investing funds should always be for your future. If one wishes to speculate than they should have separate funds set aside just for that purpose and never mix the two.

My investing funds are all in DG individual stocks with about $20k in the account waiting to be invested when stocks from my list become value priced.
Hello cannew and welcome to the forum -- quite an entrance!

(09-22-2013, 06:00 PM)cannew Wrote: In Canada there is no such Mutual fund restriction in the registered accounts. Between my wife and I we hold 22 individual stocks.

In the US this is up to the employer and the 401k plan administrator. They can certainly set up a "self-directed" option that allows employees to set up a brokerage account within the 401k to buy individual securities. I'm not sure how rare or common this is. It is not something I have ever been offered. I suggested it once at my old company and was told that they were against it to "save people from themselves." I guess the notion is that your average employee is not too savvy about investing, and it is better to only give them "safe" options (low-cost mutual funds, with an emphasis on passive index funds) and not let them "gamble" in individual stocks. Seemed like a pretty paternalistic approach to me...
The last place that I had a 401k also wouldn't let us trade individual stocks for the same reason. Though I believed that the real reason was so that the plan could make a ton of money off of us. Few options with no index funds. They couldn't get their fees with me buying and holding individual stocks.
I'm about 70% in DG stocks in my retirement portfolio. The other portion is in vanguard index funds because of restrictions.