Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Call for Moderators!
(07-30-2021, 04:02 PM)Kerim Wrote:
(07-29-2021, 07:44 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Feel free to ignore me if I am being annoying Kerim

Not even a little annoying -- I truly appreciate that you all care enough to get this place in order!

(07-29-2021, 07:44 AM)fenders53 Wrote: but maybe give Divmenow Admin authority and they can discuss the difference in their powers even when you aren't here?  I know you'll get it sorted.

Done, and good idea. Div -- let us know if that changed anything for you.

Also, I see that two new users were activated yesterday, and I know that I didn't do it. So either one of the new Mods was able to accomplish that, or something else is afoot. (I believe that people who join up using TapaTalk may be able to bypass the overly-strict measures that I put into place a while back and that prevented new activations while I was AWOL. So that could explain it.) Thoughts?

Hey Karim works great. I haven't approve anyone yet but thanks to you I now have that option. Your the best. Thanks so much for all your help on this. 

I will study all the user to see who's worthy to be approved  Big Grin
Out of the 35 new user signups waiting to be approved only 5 were legit lol

Thank God I have an IP tracer that can trace where these user are from. Some were using 7 or more ip addresses to try and beat the system using a VPN software. No, No. No

Most were from Bangladesh or India

Any there are no more users in the que now. Welcome new users.
(07-30-2021, 08:36 PM)divmenow Wrote: Out of the 35 new user signups waiting to be approved only 5 were legit lol

Thank God I have an IP tracer that can trace where these user are from. Some were using 7 or more ip addresses to try and beat the system using a VPN software. No, No. No

Most were from Bangladesh or India

Any there are no more users in the que now. Welcome new users.

Awesome! Thanks for doing that!

My process was decidedly more rudimentary. Later today or tomorrow I'm hoping to start a thread about the registration process generally. and we can decide together how best to adjust it.
It's nuts how much effort spammers put in. It's not like they are cracking a brokerage site.
i'm sure this has been discussed but to keep it simple, moderators can be assigned sections of the forum or certain jobs assigned to keep it organized

for example, fenders knows a lot about options, have him as a option section moderator--of course a mod can have multiple sections and or duties

having multiple mods will insure the site runs smoothly and goes on for years and years
(07-31-2021, 10:33 AM)fenders53 Wrote: It's nuts how much effort spammers put in.  It's not like they are cracking a brokerage site.

My sense is that it is mostly misguided google-inspired search engine optimization efforts. There are a lot of SEO articles out there that talk about the importance of back-linking, and one recommended way to do that is to get your links all over forums like this. I wonder if that is mostly out-of-date advice at this point, but lots of people still try it.
(08-01-2021, 11:59 AM)Kerim Wrote:
(07-31-2021, 10:33 AM)fenders53 Wrote: It's nuts how much effort spammers put in.  It's not like they are cracking a brokerage site.

My sense is that it is mostly misguided google-inspired search engine optimization efforts. There are a lot of SEO articles out there that talk about the importance of back-linking, and one recommended way to do that is to get your links all over forums like this. I wonder if that is mostly out-of-date advice at this point, but lots of people still try it.
Probably is part of a bigger plan.  Most spam is so flagrantly stupid I can't believe it gets a single click.
might be off-topic, but I find these quoted messages with multiple nested layers pretty annoying to read, any chance this can be setup in administration to do at most 1 or 2 nested quotes? e.g. here http://dividendgrowthforum.com/showthrea...8#pid27668
Mods are working that Lucas. May have to restart that thread. The May 11th ENPH quote is possessed. If I quote any post on that thread it grabs the same post chain. I've editted if out 100 times when I notice it.