Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somber Rant / Vent
So My wallet was stolen (not miss-placed, Stolen) over this past weekend. After going through the appropriate motions these last couple of days (contacting credit card company etc) I have had time to reflect on the theft. It's funny what one carries in their wallet. The things I will miss the most.
  • A laminated torn in half dollar bill with inscription ("as long as we each have half a buck, we will never be broke") given to me by my now deceased father in law.
  • A laminated 4 leaf clover (My wife gave to me when we were first started dating over 35 years ago)
  • A laminated white field clover ring (I picked from a field when camping and fashioned into a ring and presented to her as a substitute engagement ring the day I asked her to marry me, until I could scrape enough cash to buy her a more appropriate engagement ring
  • An old folded B/W photograph of my grandfather in front of his laundry delivery service truck when he first started his business
  • A faded color photograph of me and my SSGT best friend when we were on R/R in Thailand
  • The first picture of my sister holding my oldest nephew after giving birth soon after the nurse brought him in the recovery room.
  • My fathers Obituary (I was overseas when he died)
*** I wish the person who stole it would have just taken the few hundred bucks of cash in the wallet if they needed it badly,  and left the wallet and it's
    non monetary contents behind.

- Scoot

...And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us.

Sigh!!!!
I'm sorry to hear this happened to you Scoot. I've had friends who've had their wallet lost or stolen and it was as you said. Some money taken and the contents dropped. Hopefully somebody discards it with some ID left in it.

Off topic but the amount of theft in this world is frightening. I work part-time at a HD store in an up scale neighborhood. It's incredible how much shop lifting occurs. HD lost $380MIL just in rechargeable power tools last year. Mostly they just charge honest people more for the products and use very little or no security in many stores.

I hope you get your wallet back.
Bummer! I too had my 1st house burglarized while at work. Lost quite a few $$ but what got me was some of the drawers they went through, apparently at a leisurely pace. The drawer was full of old hockey crests from vintage jerseys, no value except to me really. But I was so frosted at the thought of someone entering another's house and taking their time sifting through my personal belongings. THE UNMITIGATED GALL!

I hope you get your sentimental items back but I don't hold out much likelihood.

You have the memories, cherish them.
Ugh -- that sucks. Really sorry.
That's really terrible.

I had a similar experience but different outcome the past few days as well. I actually can't believe I saw this posted here, as I was about to start this thread anyway.

So I lost my wallet a couple days ago. Now, admittedly my story ends happier as I found it the next day, perplexingly in an area I'd sworn I'd searched already. But that's not the point. The point, is that I've decided a wallet is a single point of failure and I'm never carrying one again. Indeed, I've been wallet free for two whole days now!

Here's what I've done:
1. Apple Pay contains my credit card. So far it has been accepted everywhere I've shopped.
2. I put photos of my license, insurance, & covid cards on my phone in an easily accessible app. AAA card too.
3. I put store specific cards that won't go in Apple Wallet in my car's glove compartment. But for instance my Panera card went into Apple Wallet.
4. My library offers a phone app as well for check-out, so I will use that instead of the old card. They don't even give new members library cards any more.

So far so good. I think cash is a thing of the past, but I've got a few bucks in the glove compartment as well just in case.
Interesting exercise and approach ken-do-nim. I guess I'mone of the last people who loves carrying cash!
(12-16-2021, 10:19 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Here's what I've done:
3. I put store specific cards that won't go in Apple Wallet in my car's glove compartment.  But for instance my Panera card went into Apple Wallet.

So far so good.  I think cash is a thing of the past, but I've got a few bucks in the glove compartment as well just in case.

FWIW ... My Wallet was stolen out of my Glove Box.
Scooter, I am very sorry about this. Rough break.

Kerim, I still carry cash - not a ton but $100 or so. I also carry most in my pocket with under $20 in bills in my wallet - figure a thief may take the light reward there and not bother me more.

Not sure it's a love thing though. I think it's a holdover from back in the 80's when I trained horses for a living. If I went on the road for a couple of weeks to a month I always had $10k cash. Back then not everyone took CCs and almost nobody took an out-of-town check. If I blew an engine with a trailer load of horses I had to be able to get a new one put in and continue on my way.

COVID has me using a lot less cash than I used to. I was one of those people who paid cash at a convenience store - or anywhere that the purchase was under $20. These days I use the card for a 99 cent bottle of water.
(12-17-2021, 11:15 AM)Scooterd Wrote:
3. I put store specific cards that won't go in Apple Wallet in my car's glove compartment.  But for instance my Panera card went into Apple Wallet.

So far so good.  I think cash is a thing of the past, but I've got a few bucks in the glove compartment as well just in case.

Ouch!

Did you leave the car unlocked, or did they smash the window to get in?

A previous vehicle of mine had a compartment in the arm rest you could lock with a key. I used to leave my wallet in there when I went to the gym for added protection.
(12-18-2021, 10:59 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(12-17-2021, 11:15 AM)Scooterd Wrote:

Ouch!

Did you leave the car unlocked, or did they smash the window to get in?

A previous vehicle of mine had a compartment in the arm rest you could lock with a key.  I used to leave my wallet in there when I went to the gym for added protection.
Glovebox isn't the best idea.  With a little creativity you can hide something like a zippered vinyl pencil holder we used to keep in three ring binders.  You could keep a $20 bill or a card you accrue points for purchases with, but no way I am putting anything like a credit card in there.  Too much hassle getting things cancelled in a hurry. It could be gone for days before you realize it.