Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What was the Last Movie You Watched?
This is my 2nd of three "chat threads" I'll start. This is a different thread from discussing financial movies.

Darkest Hour. Basically about the 3-week period between where Winston Churchill first became Prime Minister and the evacuation of Dunkirk. Extremely good - suspect I may re-watch in the next few weeks.

It also re-generated my internal debate on whether history follows the "Great Man" or "Social/Cultural Development" - AKA It's Time has Come - theory. I have come to believe it's both. When it comes to geopolitical it is often The Great Man. When it comes to scientific advancement, more social/cultural. I think the argument can be made that Churchill is the single most important person in the history of the world when it comes to the planet as we know it today - almost certainly for the 20th century at least. Without him Europe - and the world - could look very different. There were many UK voices calling for continued appeasement/capitulation, despite plenty of evidence that this did not work.

The book thread is next. Tomorrow or Monday.