Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Ten 2022 Predictions.
(01-15-2022, 11:36 AM)fenders53 Wrote: We have to get you a little bit interested in MLB.  We chat about that quite a lot in a few months.

Hopelessly lost with MLB and NBA, never a fan of either.

Hockey, Football, and collegiate wrestling maintain my sports interest.
(01-15-2022, 11:45 AM)Scooterd Wrote:
(01-15-2022, 11:36 AM)fenders53 Wrote: We have to get you a little bit interested in MLB.  We chat about that quite a lot in a few months.

Hopelessly lost with MLB and NBA, never a fan of either.

Hockey, Football, and collegiate wrestling maintain my sports interest.
I attended college at U of Iowa and Dan Gable was the coach.  Wrestling was the only sport my state was ever truly famous for.  It was like Alabama football.  Recruiting was so strong that it wasn't t even fair for a long time.
When I was a kid I was a fan of every sport. I used to send away letters asking for signed pictures. Only got a few back but I got Walt "Clyde" Frazier from the NY Knicks, and OJ Simpson. Dammit OJ, why did you have to stab people! Smile
(01-15-2022, 11:50 AM)fenders53 Wrote: I attended college at U of Iowa and Dan Gable was the coach. Wrestling was the only sport my state was ever truly famous for.  It was like Alabama football.  Recruiting was so strong that it wasn't t even fair for a long time.

Never been anybody else like him. Can you imagine trying to maintain your focus during the '72 Olympics to bring home the gold. He has witnessed a lot of Tragedy and Triumphs in his life. Gable and Franco Columbu are two men I have admired for dedication to their sport. None trained harder.
There were a half dozen wrestlers in ROTC classes. Either hoping for some easy credit hours or contracted for an Army obligation and were hoping to serve as West Point coaches. The Banach brothers Lou and Ed won NCAA championships or always in contention. They were bigger and much younger than Gable. They said Dan would get upset and wear them out on the mat when he didn't think they were giving 100% during practice. Nobody on the team strong enough to challenge them so he took care of it. No doubt some of the reason they won titles. They had a brother Steve but I don't think he achieved Olympic fame. Anyway they won multiple NCAA championships under Gable.
(01-15-2022, 05:25 PM)fenders53 Wrote: There were a half dozen wrestlers in ROTC classes.  Either hoping for some easy credit hours or contracted for an Army obligation and were hoping to serve as West Point coaches.  The Banach brothers Lou and Ed won NCAA championships or always in contention.  They were bigger and much younger than Gable. They said Dan would get upset and wear them out on the mat when he didn't think they were giving 100% during practice. Nobody on the team strong enough to challenge them so he took care of it.  No doubt some of the reason they won titles.  They had a brother Steve but I don't think he achieved Olympic fame.  Anyway they won multiple NCAA championships under Gable.

The 84 Olympic team was awesome -  The Banach Brothers, The Shultz Brothers, Steve Frazer (1st US gold in Greco). 
I met Mark Shultz in '93 when he had a coaching position at BYU. A few years later Dave was shot by that nut Job.
You got me researching. The third Banach Steve was also a collegiate wrestler at Clemson. I met him but he wasn't a Hawk at anytime to my knowledge. He was an Army kid too and made 06 Colonel. He was a green beret. I didn't know that until just now.

The Schultz murder was such a tragedy.

It was the golden age. I think three US college teams vs Russia and a few eastern block European countries had way too many of the top Olympians.
And since you got me reminiscing. We were arranged by fake rank in ROTC. One of my soldiers was Mark Bortz. You might not remember him but he played about 12 years for the Bears including their Superbowl win.
First man I ever met with no neck lol. He was solid. He told me he needed a credit so he could stay eligible for IA football. Smile
Buffalo - WOW.
(01-16-2022, 10:08 AM)Scooterd Wrote: Just How good was Buffalo last night?

The Bills became the first team in NFL history to go an entire game without punting, turning the ball over, or kicking a field goal on offense. The first team in the Super Bowl era to score touchdowns on their first five drives of a playoff game – let alone seven. Allen was the first quarterback in NFL history to have 300-plus passing yards, five-plus passing touchdowns, and 60-plus rushing yards in a single playoff game. "It feels good for the fans, and I know that, I'm glad we could give that to them, but at the end of the day, it's a playoff game that we advanced on." - Josh Allen

Hey Bill, you had a tough night, here's a lifesaver.
Bills do look tough. Belichick is mortal since Mister Playoffs abandoned him.
Round 1 -
Bengals-Bills-Bucs-Cowboys-Chiefs-Cards. I guess my upset pick is the Cards and that isn't too bold IMO, but I am in it to win it lol.  It gets tougher next round when the wannabees are eliminated. - Fender53

Bengals, Bills, Bucs, 49er's, Chiefs, Rams. 49er's are my upset (Dallas favored by 3) - Scoot

My terms  - You have to keep up with the point score values for us Smile

On to Round 2 !!
I will post my picks (and the upset per the rules by Wednesday) - Scoot

Let's play some football !!!
- Scoot.