Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nice to be among friends
I "financially" grew up in the Boglehead World Bogleheads.org. Still think about the economy, retirement, investing through that lens. Then one day after the company I work for declared bankruptcy I couldn't shake a troubling question that I had never really thought about before: "How do you LIVE off of your savings in retirement?"

Weeks of research and playing with on-line calculators led me to a series of incredible articles on Seeking Alpha about DGI. Other than the guilt that I wish I had started DGI 30 years before, we are very comfortable now with the prospects for a contented retirement when I retire my wings in 3-5 years.

I want to thank the following authors (in no particular order) for helping me get on track: Dividends4Life, David Crosetti, Chuck Carnevale and his FAST Graphs, Chowder, David Van Knapp, David Fish and the CCC Spreadsheet, the "Kid"Smile Tim McAleenan, Norman Tweed, Dividend Growth Machine, Dividend Monk, Dividend Pig, Dividend Guy, Dividend Growth Investor, Bob Wells, and Bob Johnson. There is a lot of very modest talent in this list and we should all heed their advice.

Thanks to this group, my wife and I are currently looking at a 3.87% yield from a very diverse low to moderate risk portfolio of mostly stocks.

I also highly recommend "The Single Best Investment" by Lowell Miller and "The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning" all available for download.

Shouldn't we consider an annual "DGI Convention" such as the Bogleheads have every year? I think it would be a kick to raise a glass with all of you.

Cheers!
There are people who use up their entire lives making money so they can enjoy the lives they have entirely used up
Frederick Buechner
(12-21-2013, 01:35 PM)Robandcindy2 Wrote: Shouldn't we consider an annual "DGI Convention" such as the Bogleheads have every year? I think it would be a kick to raise a glass with all of you.

Cheers!

Could be fun. I can envision a full slate of presentations by dividend growth writers.
(12-21-2013, 01:35 PM)Robandcindy2 Wrote: I "financially" grew up in the Boglehead World Bogleheads.org. Still think about the economy, retirement, investing through that lens. Then one day after the company I work for declared bankruptcy I couldn't shake a troubling question that I had never really thought about before: "How do you LIVE off of your savings in retirement?"

Weeks of research and playing with on-line calculators led me to a series of incredible articles on Seeking Alpha about DGI. Other than the guilt that I wish I had started DGI 30 years before, we are very comfortable now with the prospects for a contented retirement when I retire my wings in 3-5 years.

I want to thank the following authors (in no particular order) for helping me get on track: Dividends4Life, David Crosetti, Chuck Carnevale and his FAST Graphs, Chowder, David Van Knapp, David Fish and the CCC Spreadsheet, the "Kid"Smile Tim McAleenan, Norman Tweed, Dividend Growth Machine, Dividend Monk, Dividend Pig, Dividend Guy, Dividend Growth Investor, Bob Wells, and Bob Johnson. There is a lot of very modest talent in this list and we should all heed their advice.

Thanks to this group, my wife and I are currently looking at a 3.87% yield from a very diverse low to moderate risk portfolio of mostly stocks.

I also highly recommend "The Single Best Investment" by Lowell Miller and "The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning" all available for download.

Shouldn't we consider an annual "DGI Convention" such as the Bogleheads have every year? I think it would be a kick to raise a glass with all of you.

Cheers!
Robandcindy2, is that the service banner as your avatar?

If so, thank (s)he for their sacrifice and I hope they get home safe.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Hey Robandcindy -- Welcome aboard!

Are you both reading / posting, or is this Rob or Cindy we have the pleasure of writing with?
(12-21-2013, 08:35 PM)Kerim Wrote: Hey Robandcindy -- Welcome aboard!

Are you both reading / posting, or is this Rob or Cindy we have the pleasure of writing with?

Pretty much just me (Rob)...my smarter half gets to play CFO if I'm scratching my head about an investment Big Grin.

Who ever came up with the idea for this board did a fantastic job!!

(12-21-2013, 07:55 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: Robandcindy2, is that the service banner as your avatar?

If so, thank (s)he for their sacrifice and I hope they get home safe.

That is in honor of our Son who is half way through his Special Forces training. When you hear the stories of how "the quiet professionals" train it really makes you step back from the petty stuff we whine and argue about on the web.

I'll pass along your thank you...just got home for Christmas leave!!
There are people who use up their entire lives making money so they can enjoy the lives they have entirely used up
Frederick Buechner
(12-21-2013, 01:35 PM)Robandcindy2 Wrote: I also highly recommend "The Single Best Investment" by Lowell Miller and "The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning" all available for download.

Do you have links to a site to download these from?
OK, fiveoh, took me some time to find it again.

http://www.mhinvest.com/files/pdf/SBI_Si...Miller.pdf

Then I noticed it in the resources section here. (headslap)
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

(01-01-2014, 11:44 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: OK, fiveoh, took me some time to find it again.

Thanks! I didn't realize it was in the resources section here either. Undecided
Happy Easter everyone....

No dividend chat for me today...off to work...

Be well!!

Rob
Frederick Buechner
(01-02-2014, 09:38 PM)fiveoh Wrote:
(01-01-2014, 11:44 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: OK, fiveoh, took me some time to find it again.

Thanks! I didn't realize it was in the resources section here either. Undecided

Yet more stuff I need to invest time looking in to.
Thanks for the link for us tech challenged.
Jimbo
Rob,

Happy Easter back at you.

Sorry you had to work today. It's actually my first day off in 4 weeks so I'm being a lazy slob. Big Grin

Jimbo, ain't this place great?!? Angel
=====