Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
P&G
My portfolio is weak in consumer staples and defensive, so I've been eyeing PG. I just picked up 131 shares @ $76.00.
Though not in this category; TGT is looking mighty fine… but I think I’m going to hold out even longer.

Ronn
Ooooh, very fair price for PG.

I'd buy here but I've got a chunk of UL. So, have limit order in for under $73 for PG. If it trades, I'll be more than satisfied, if not, UL's been good to me so far. It's nice to see some of these stalwarts trading down closer to fair value. Hoping the hot money will keep chasing FB and AMZN so the steady-eddie's can drift lower.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

I know it is not wise to fret over pennies, especially when you plan to hold for decades, but I had an order page filled this morning when PG was down over a percent, but for some reason I held off. Checked back in after the close and it is actually up for the day. Oh well.

I agree that PG is trading at a more attractive price with the recent dip, and I will pick up those shares soon. With a little luck, we'll get an even better entry opportunity next week.
(01-31-2014, 06:41 PM)TomK Wrote: I know it is not wise to fret over pennies, especially when you plan to hold for decades, but I had an order page filled this morning when PG was down over a percent, but for some reason I held off. Checked back in after the close and it is actually up for the day. Oh well.

Don't you hate that? I checked pre-market action around 9:00 this morning and there were a few bargains I was interested in. Like you, I set limit orders only pennies below the pre-market price. Most of them opened at a higher price and they all closed much higher and never traded.

Did get a lowball limit order for General Mills that I had in for about a month to finally fill today.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Keeping an eye at the situation at the moment.
What's everyone's thoughts with the stock at $85? Too expensive for me and I own ULVR.
I still feel it's worth a watch.
At today's close of $85.79, I would probably pick up a couple shares if you plan to hold for a long time. It's recently had a pretty big drop from it's high of just under $94 and you know it will go back up. The one downside though is that it's Ex-div date was two weeks ago.
I think PG is great company and worth buying for the long term. When talking about decades of holding, doesn't really matter if you pick it up at $86 or $84 but I have a little gambler in me so I'm still waiting to see if I can grab it a bit lower than the current price. But it's one of the companies that I am constantly increasing my position in, even if it's just a few shares at a time.
I don't think that Warren Buffet ever said, [it doesn't matter what I paid!] I'll buy these DG kinds of stocks, but not at a p/e much above 12, otherwise the price is too high. Patience and let the price come to me, that will be my game. So many here seem like children with money in their pockets standing in the candy store. Sometimes holding cash or cash equivalent and being patient is the best strategy. The next cycle of earnings compression and fear will provide real bargains, and I want some cash in the ready an/or other stable valued liquid assets available for those opportunities. The share price of PG for example, has hit $60 in May 2007, in May 2008, several times during 2010-2012. What is to keep it from revisiting that level? My first buy of PG will come at under $65 when the yield crosses 4%. I love PG and would love to own it, but only at the right price.
Alex
I have considered PG a few times in the past but it just doesn't have enough growth for me and with a projected growth rate under 5% for the next 5 years I think its too expensive at current prices. The payout ratio has slowly crept up from 43% to 58% over the last decade and the dividend growth rate has slowed to mid single digits. With growth of under 5% going forward, I expect the dividend growth to be about the same.

Fine for a retiree who is happy with a 3% yield, but with another 25 years to retirement I am looking for a bit more growth.

I had Clorox (CLX) in my portfolio previously, but sold it last year for a decent gain when I thought it had become overvalued.

I currently own Church & Dwight (CHD), which is a smaller and faster growing company. Although it yields less than PG, I think in the long run my capital gains will more than make up for it.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
I'm not interested in PG in the 80's right now. If were going to add, it would have a trailing P/E < 17 and a clearer outlook but that's with my short time frame. If I were younger, I'd wait for a much better price since you have time to be patient. What adds to my hesitance here is right now PG is facing too many headwinds: currency, too broad a product portfolio, trying to find an energetic & younger CEO. Lafley did well before and he's doing some housecleaning but he ain't no spring chicken and I think they need someone with bright new ideas to shake them up. My wife holds a small tranche with a high 70s basis but we're not adding more until it's a better value.

I agree with you Eric, CHD is a much better choice for you youngsters. I like most of their product line over PG (of the ones I use) and at much better prices. Now if it would only come back down a bit . . .
=====

(02-05-2015, 08:38 AM)hendi_alex Wrote: My first buy of PG will come at under $65 when the yield crosses 4%. I love PG and would love to own it, but only at the right price.
I too would be happy to buy PG with a 4% yield but I don't see it happening anytime soon, of course everything is possible. However to get there we might need a 2008 type of crash and for those situations I do have the extra money at hand, as well as the possibility to get leverage instantly.

Unfortunately this website requires registration if you want to see further than 5 years back, but here you have the dividend yield for PG.
http://ycharts.com/companies/PG/dividend_yield

The PG I have in my portfolio is from somewhere between $80 and $85 and I don't mind getting more for the same price. It probably won't be the best buy I ever make but in the long term it will be profitable, which is better than having cash in my pockets. In fact, if the oil industry wouldn't have some buy opportunities in it I would have probably already grabbed some PG during the early days of the month when it was hovering around $85.
(02-06-2015, 12:19 AM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: I'm not interested in PG in the 80's right now. If were going to add, it would have a trailing P/E < 17 and a clearer outlook but that's with my short time frame. If I were younger, I'd wait for a much better price since you have time to be patient. What adds to my hesitance here is right now PG is facing too many headwinds: currency, too broad a product portfolio, trying to find an energetic & younger CEO. Lafley did well before and he's doing some housecleaning but he ain't no spring chicken and I think they need someone with bright new ideas to shake them up. My wife holds a small tranche with a high 70s basis but we're not adding more until it's a better value.

I agree with you Eric, CHD is a much better choice for you youngsters. I like most of their product line over PG (of the ones I use) and at much better prices. Now if it would only come back down a bit . . .

I like and own PG, but I purchased the stock back when it had a much lower P/E and higher dividend yield. At the moment, why not pick up JNJ with it's 18 P/E?