Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on your energy stocks?
Midstream MLPs are in the bargain bin. For example, EPD topped out at $41 last year and has been sold down to as low as $31 this year, now trading about 10% above that. Who knows when the energy carnage ends - not me - but these names are not exposed to commodity prices and remain excellent long term investments, IMO. I already have substantial money in EPD and KMI or I would be adding more.
I like EPD and hold shares in my longer term account. But as far as "bargain", I have a hard time considering shares as being anything close to deep bargain territory. Just a couple of years ago shares were selling for under $25 (under $50 pre-split). Go back three years and those shares sold for under $20 (under $40 pre-split). EPD has certainly continued to execute well, but in my mind, the inherent value of the company is not 40%-75% higher than of the value such a short time ago. I'm in slow patient accumulation mode with this one, and my next buy point is under $30. I'll not feel really good about the purchase price until current yield is above 6% once again.
Alex
Thoughts on Core Laboratories (CLB) ?
Was looking at them yesterday... though I might give it a go tomorrow but they already jumped 8% today. Might have missed this one.
From what I can gather they are very dependant on the shale oil sector but that does seem to be the way of the future, no matter what happens in the next couple of months.

Not a great dividend payer but they have increased it quite a bit during the past years. Also keep an eye on the cashflows, low debt levels and history of EPS growth.