Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boardwalk--at "steal?"
What do you all think?

http://theconservativeincomeinvestor.com...eal-at-13/

I tend to agree with this article, and I'm considering deploying some "speculative cash" here. Anyone want to try and talk me out of it... just as an exercise in devils advocacy?

Ronn
Interesting article. I'm considering a few shares now as a play on future rising nat gas prices. I need to do a little more research on the company first.
(02-13-2014, 09:30 AM)ronn38 Wrote: I'm considering deploying some "speculative cash" here. Anyone want to try and talk me out of it... just as an exercise in devils advocacy?

I saw that article and had the exact same reaction. I know nothing about the company, but Tim's a thoughtful guy and I trust his approach. I might buy a few shares just for the speculation of it on his say-so. But only so long as we're talking gambling money and not confusing it with a portfolio position.
I've read that the tax issues of energy MLPs can get complicated, even if held if IRAs. In fact, I've read that they should not be held in MLPs. Any advice? Anyone with experience at filling out required tax forms for these MLPs?

I bought one in a taxable account through Fidelity, and got a warning like "You may be taxed for every state in which the company does business" which could be an awful lot for a pipeline company. I sold the shares within a week.

Okay, so I can't type. Of course, what I meant to say is "they should not be held in IRAs" (some people say)
I wouldn't hold an MLP for over a couple of years in an IRA. Also, would not hold over $10k-$15k in an IRA. There can be tax issues related to UBTI. Nice thing is that monitoring and paying the tax is the responsibility of the IRA custodian. I've held up to about $20k in the IRA and always tossed the k-1's in the trash. Never had a problem. But that doesn't mean that a person can't have a tax issue. One thing for sue, to enjoy the full befit of the mlp structure, shares must be held in a cash account.
Alex