Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dividend Announcement Thread!
(02-29-2020, 10:01 AM)fenders53 Wrote: The following is a little off topic but relevant IMO.  I want to be invested in a company that will throw me a bone when they can.  Special dividends actually make more sense to me for cyclical companies, rather than running your normal dividend up and then allowing it to choke you.  Ford is actually a good and bad example at the same time.  Yes their future looks bleak, very bleak.  The whole industry has been bleak off and on since forever.  They will cut their dividend to zero, then pay a large special "surprise" dividend when they can.  Some would argue they should just pay a very low and sustainable dividend.  They can't do that now, or the share price will visit $2.  Point is, it's not easy managing shareholder distributions in a highly cyclical industry.  

I still wonder why companies don't do both. I kinda like the European way where a company usually pays out a certain percentage of EPS rather than automatically aiming to increase it every single year. It just offers the company a lot more flexibility. Of course the US way offers investors a bit more safety and predictability.

But why not combine both? There is nothing stopping companies from paying a low, sustainable, slightly growing quarterly dividend (US style) and then paying an additional dividend annually based on the last year's profits and their current cash situation. It would be a perfect mix of the two, offering shareholders some income consistently and allowing the company a lot more flexibility. 

I only know of one company (PGR) that does this. And it's fantastic, even if the current quarterly dividend is super low and they just started doing this so we don't really have any idea about the scope of those quarterly dividend increases.
(02-14-2020, 09:51 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Airbus raises 9%, from 1.65 euros to 1.80 euros.

(02-29-2020, 09:10 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:
(02-29-2020, 10:01 AM)fenders53 Wrote: The following is a little off topic but relevant IMO.  I want to be invested in a company that will throw me a bone when they can.  Special dividends actually make more sense to me for cyclical companies, rather than running your normal dividend up and then allowing it to choke you.  Ford is actually a good and bad example at the same time.  Yes their future looks bleak, very bleak.  The whole industry has been bleak off and on since forever.  They will cut their dividend to zero, then pay a large special "surprise" dividend when they can.  Some would argue they should just pay a very low and sustainable dividend.  They can't do that now, or the share price will visit $2.  Point is, it's not easy managing shareholder distributions in a highly cyclical industry.  

I still wonder why companies don't do both. I kinda like the European way where a company usually pays out a certain percentage of EPS rather than automatically aiming to increase it every single year. It just offers the company a lot more flexibility. Of course the US way offers investors a bit more safety and predictability.

But why not combine both? There is nothing stopping companies from paying a low, sustainable, slightly growing quarterly dividend (US style) and then paying an additional dividend annually based on the last year's profits and their current cash situation. It would be a perfect mix of the two, offering shareholders some income consistently and allowing the company a lot more flexibility. 

I only know of one company (PGR) that does this. And it's fantastic, even if the current quarterly dividend is super low and they just started doing this so we don't really have any idea about the scope of those quarterly dividend increases.
I agree.  That is what I was basically trying to say.  Ford has done that.  I think CBRL as well?  Don't get me wrong I love the aristocrat concept, but it does tie their hands, and then you have the raise the dividend one penny game so you can maintain, or eventually be added to the list.  But how do you complain about T as far as the div goes.? It's sky high and if they raise it a penny a year your're still very good for years.  I pay attention to the growth rate the past five years.  I'm not overly concerned if a company froze or cut their div 20 years ago.  Maybe that was a good long-term decision?  KMI comes to mind.  I'll be angry forever for lying to me, but the company did survive.  At least 10% of the aristocrats are going to struggle mightily to maintain their div through the next downturn,
Ross Stores (NASDAQ:ROST) declares $0.285/share quarterly dividend, 11.8% increase from prior dividend of $0.255.

Forward yield 1.04%

Payable March 31; for shareholders of record March 17; ex-div March 16.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
General Dynamics (NYSE: GD) declares $1.10/share quarterly dividend, 7.8% increase from prior dividend of $1.02.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3548803-ge...0-dividend
Armanino Foods of Distinction (OTCPK: AMNF) declares $0.0275/share quarterly dividend, 10% increase from prior dividend of $0.0250.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3549294-ar...5-dividend
Qualcomm (NASDAQ:QCOM) announces dividend increase to $0.65/share quarterly dividend, 4.8% increase from prior dividend of $0.62.

Forward yield 3.58%

Payable for quarterly dividends payable after March 26, 2020.
No surprise here, OXY slashes the dividend.

Occidental Petroleum (NYSE:OXY) says it is cutting its quarterly dividend to $0.11/share from $0.79/share and reducing capital spending, citing the sharp decline in crude oil prices.

Occidental plans to cut FY 2020 capex to $3.5B-$3.7B from its previous plan for $5.2B-$5.4B, a 32% reduction at the midpoint, and to implement additional operating and corporate cost reductions.

"These actions lower our cash flow breakeven level to the low $30s WTI, excluding the benefit of our hedges, positioning us to succeed in a low commodity price environment," the company says.

Trading remains halted.
(03-10-2020, 11:13 AM)EricL Wrote: No surprise here, OXY slashes the dividend.

Occidental Petroleum (NYSE:OXY) says it is cutting its quarterly dividend to $0.11/share from $0.79/share and reducing capital spending, citing the sharp decline in crude oil prices.

Occidental plans to cut FY 2020 capex to $3.5B-$3.7B from its previous plan for $5.2B-$5.4B, a 32% reduction at the midpoint, and to implement additional operating and corporate cost reductions.

"These actions lower our cash flow breakeven level to the low $30s WTI, excluding the benefit of our hedges, positioning us to succeed in a low commodity price environment," the company says.

Trading remains halted.
I didn't expect it nearly this soon!  I thought they would wait for cooler heads to prevail in the Saudi vs Russia throw down. I really think it will happen inside of 30 days.  Maybe the reality is OXY can't pay the dividend even if some normalcy returns?
(03-10-2020, 11:51 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

Trading remains halted.
I didn't expect it nearly this soon!  I thought they would wait for cooler heads to prevail in the Saudi vs Russia throw down. I really think it will happen inside of 30 days.  Maybe the reality is OXY can't pay the dividend even if some normalcy returns?
Still a 3.2% yield - as 10 year treasuries yield .6% OXY is still a yield diva!
(03-10-2020, 11:56 AM)stockguru Wrote:

Trading remains halted.
LOL, very nice spin Guru.  I suppose it is if you entered in the last 24HRs.  If you bought it anytime in the last ten years not so much.
(03-10-2020, 01:00 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 11:56 AM)stockguru Wrote:

Trading remains halted.
LOL, very nice spin Guru.  I suppose it is if you entered in the last 24HRs.  If you bought it anytime in the last ten years not so much.

Thank sometimes I do put in a few jokes here and there  Big Grin
I donno what you guys talking about, oxy is up 15% today. Lol. Jokes apart. It's a good thing for them to cut div to avoid bankruptcy.