Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New DGI from SA
Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie who got introduced to the world of investing last year by way of cashing out some incentive stock options, and was fortunate enough to find my way into DGI amid all the noise on SA. I've been spending a large portion of my time researching stocks and investing theory, doing some spreadsheet modeling, and outlining my portfolio allocations. I'm telling myself that at some point when I'm fully invested I'll start spending less time at this, but for the moment I still find it quite absorbing. I'll create a separate post outlining my portfolio and my target allocations in the Portfolio forum.

Dan
Hey Dan -- welcome to the forum!

I've been at this (DG investing) for more than five years now. I think I could spend less time on it than I do at this point. Actually managing my portfolio is dead simple and new purchases don't take much effort either. But, for me at least, it is interesting enough that I keep spending a lot of time on it even though I don't really need to. I guess it is my hobby as well as my retirement funding.
Welcome, Dan. Nice to see another new face. Looking forward to you posting your portfolio ideas along with some details about yourself. Just don't get too specific -- this is the Internet afterall. Confused Besides, we can always go to the NSA for the specifics.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Haha yes, or if you wanted to make it easier I'm sure you could just go to Target and pull up all my info from one of the credit card machines.

I'm 32, so 3+ decades to retirement, although I haven't planned it out that far. I was totally clueless about retirement planning, the stock market, finance, etc. and never saved any money. Now that I came upon some seed money and I started learning how to invest, I'm saving $1k/month.
(03-30-2014, 05:37 PM)Kerim Wrote: Hey Dan -- welcome to the forum!

I've been at this (DG investing) for more than five years now. I think I could spend less time on it than I do at this point. Actually managing my portfolio is dead simple and new purchases don't take much effort either. But, for me at least, it is interesting enough that I keep spending a lot of time on it even though I don't really need to. I guess it is my hobby as well as my retirement funding.

Ha! Too much time spent on watching, never. Since I got hooked on this site from DM I spend way too much time here and SA and looking up stocks and what not. Soon I will find some time to post my portfolios and look forward to seeing the response. While talking to my online broker I brought up this site and she was pleasantly surprised by some info I gave her. Keep up the good work all.
I read an article on SA about a guy that is buying small positions and most responders were workin him for buying so small of lots. Uggghh, thats my style.
Jimbo
(04-03-2014, 03:12 AM)Jimbo Wrote:

Ha! Too much time spent on watching, never. Since I got hooked on this site from DM I spend way too much time here and SA and looking up stocks and what not. Soon I will find some time to post my portfolios and look forward to seeing the response. While talking to my online broker I brought up this site and she was pleasantly surprised by some info I gave her. Keep up the good work all.
I read an article on SA about a guy that is buying small positions and most responders were workin him for buying so small of lots. Uggghh, thats my style.
Jimbo

I noticed those comments too. All snowballs start with a single snowflake, some just have a bigger pile of snow to add to it that others. As a thirty-something with a 2 year and another on the way, my pile is pretty small to start with as well. Big Grin
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(04-03-2014, 08:49 AM)EricL Wrote:
(04-03-2014, 03:12 AM)Jimbo Wrote:

Jimbo

I noticed those comments too. All snowballs start with a single snowflake, some just have a bigger pile of snow to add to it that others. As a thirty-something with a 2 year and another on the way, my pile is pretty small to start with as well. Big Grin
EricL, LOL, 32 with a 2 year old. I remember those days, now 53 with 2 @ 24 & 22, just getting ready to finish college.
Remember these days they go FAST, just keep investing and good luck to you.

JImbo