Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings from the Deserts of California
Tongue 
Hello! My name is delphian. My real name is a super uber secret which you shall never find out!

I really like dividend growth investing, though I don't know much about it yet. I'm about 36, married and have two kids, one of which thinks its a teenager. I have a normal salary for someone who never finished college, but have gotten our savings rate up to 26% of my net take home salary. I've found, a bit late in life, that one of the major secrets to financial success is showing up early to work, working hard, staying late (a little overtime), and coming back again the next day. I've never been as successful acquiring capital until this just clicked: Be a faithful worker first. Second: Just don't buy stuff, which is easy for me; hard for my wife =(

In my 20s when traditional retirement was explained to me as the acquisition phase, buying and investing, followed by the distribution phase, slowing selling down everything you have in life... And then dying penniless with nothing to give to your kids, well I thought that was stupid. Its what I said. "Thats stupid...", but I said it in my head, not out loud. This initial response to retirement is what finally, eventually, got me to dividend growth investing. I even started writing a chrome extension (free, of course) to help me do quick dirty research on a stock as I browse web pages featuring their ticker symbols. It doesn't work very well, but good enough for me, and I like doing things like that.

Anyway, good to meet you all! =) =) =)
Hi Delphian, welcome to the forum!
Hi Calif:

Impressive savings rate and hope you've separated your saving goals. At your age you still need to have funds for emergency, funds for family and finally funds for your retirement. I'd look into company DRIP's which allow optional cash purchases all with no fees. If your company has a savings plan take part and/or set up 401k savings.
Welcome to the board Delphian!

As a soon to be 36 year old with two young kids as well, I'm guessing we are in pretty similar situations. I'm already enjoying your humor from your first post, hope to see you become active around here!
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Greetings delphian! 26% is a very solid savings rate!

How does one write a Chrome extension, anyway? Sounds intriguing. Do yo need to be a programmer?
Ahoy delphian! Welcome!
Welcome, fellow Californian.
(05-14-2014, 10:04 AM)TomK Wrote: Greetings delphian! 26% is a very solid savings rate!

How does one write a Chrome extension, anyway? Sounds intriguing. Do yo need to be a programmer?

I hope in the future I'm able to support the savings rate. My wife is going to school and that should help this fall when she gets a job.

I guess by definition you need to be a programmer to write a chrome extension. They are mostly written in javascript. You just code it up, package it together and upload it to the chrome web store for other people to install (and complain to you about bugs).
(05-18-2014, 11:19 PM)delphian Wrote: I guess by definition you need to be a programmer to write a chrome extension. They are mostly written in javascript. You just code it up, package it together and upload it to the chrome web store for other people to install (and complain to you about bugs).

Sounds like the makings of a good side business!