Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
I found some money under the couch cushions. I seriously hid from myself in ulta-short term bond ETF when I sold NEE last week. I grabbed some UTEs at the open. The price drop was insane. NEE down like another $25 from the close. I'll be early as usual no doubt, but I got something right. NEE down over $60 in about a week.
(03-11-2020, 05:12 PM)MikeWa Wrote: I've heard a theory that you should invest 30% of your cash with a 10% drop, next 30% after next 10% drop and another 30% after yet another 10% drop.

Nothing wrong with that plan for an extended bear market.  You have to consider your age, your personal risk tolerance,a and your best guess where we are in the business cycle.  It's easy to over think it.

I don't think a young investor should have much cash.  It's a lost opportunity longterm.  Practically zero coming out of the bear, 10% if the bull is years old and valuations stretched.  It really stinks to have no money when the market gets crushed.   I'm close to retirement.  I'll push my luck some at a time like this, but it would be nuts for me to not have enough cash for the first few years of retirement should I need it.  I want 4-5 years to ride out a beat down so my stocks can recover.  That is usually more than sufficient time.
(03-12-2020, 07:32 AM)vbin Wrote: Any buyers of boing at this price?

Look at BA like an oil purchase last month.  What are the chances it runs to the moon and I miss out?  Eric nailed it.  This is a perfect storm.  There is headwind from every direction.  It doesn't matter what a share used to cost.  All this was not going on. Give a MMM chart a hard look.  It takes time.
(03-12-2020, 09:12 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 05:12 PM)MikeWa Wrote: I've heard a theory that you should invest 30% of your cash with a 10% drop, next 30% after next 10% drop and another 30% after yet another 10% drop.

Nothing wrong with that plan for an extended bear market.  You have to consider your age, your personal risk tolerance,a and your best guess where we are in the business cycle.  It's easy to over think it.

I don't think a young investor should have much cash.  It's a lost opportunity longterm.  Practically zero coming out of the bear, 10% if the bull is years old and valuations stretched.  It really stinks to have no money when the market gets crushed.   I'm close to retirement.  I'll push my luck some at a time like this, but it would be nuts for me to not have enough cash for the first few years of retirement should I need it.  I want 4-5 years to ride out a beat down so my stocks can recover.  That is usually more than sufficient time.

I agree completely, but also have to factor in your own personality and comfort. I'd be worth a lot more right now if I didn't keep such a large amount of my assets in cash. My depression-era father still lurks in me I guess, but I just sleep a lot better with a big cash cushion. And it does come in handy for moments like these!
I'm going to keep buying slowly. Definitely feeling like it is going to get worse before it gets better, but we humans are terrible at these sorts of predictions.

Just added a little DIS, OHI, and RDS.B
Added to CSCO. Wish I had more cash to use.
added some VTR under $30 wow. Also added to DFS and MMM. Cash is running low. This coronavirus by subside soon lol
(03-12-2020, 09:51 AM)Kerim Wrote:

I agree completely, but also have to factor in your own personality and comfort. I'd be worth a lot more right now if I didn't keep such a large amount of my assets in cash. My depression-era father still lurks in me I guess, but I just sleep a lot better with a big cash cushion. And it does come in handy for moments like these!

(03-12-2020, 09:53 AM)Kerim Wrote: I'm going to keep buying slowly. Definitely feeling like it is going to get worse before it gets better, but we humans are terrible at these sorts of predictions.

Just added a little DIS, OHI, and RDS.B

Yes, your personality (personal risk tolerance is huge).  It's easy to talk a good game, but you have to be disciplined.  You don't know what you'll really do until you experience your port in free fall for the first time.  I know that I won't sell out, I know that I'll buy in too soon, every damn time!  I keep cash around for this reason.  I'm about out of cash that I will invest short of a  50% pullback.  I know myself well.  My next trick will be to start re-arranging chairs on the Titanic lol.  I'll start looking for a holding that is only down 15-20%, then peel off a few shares and add it to a holding that is down 50%+ if the market is completely over-reacting short-term. DOW might be an example.  Down about 60%, 10% yield is well covered.  They weren't supposed to grow earnings until 2021 anyway.  Not rational, and neither is major restaurant chains trading for half off because business might be slow for three months. Pretty sure their not actually going out of business if they survived 2008 well enough.
added some T and ABBV just now.. Slowly buying lol
If the whole market gets to a 50 percent pullback, I may even just start buying some indexes.
(03-12-2020, 10:52 AM)kblake Wrote: added some T and ABBV just now.. Slowly buying lol

(03-12-2020, 11:37 AM)Kerim Wrote: If the whole market gets to a 50 percent pullback, I may even just start buying some indexes.

A lot of us here have an S&P 500 based fund on the side.  It's certainly less complicated and generally safer if you decide to play the bounce when the entire market is hammered.  I suspect there is too much liquidity for a 50% off sale, but if you are real cashy you should be wishing for it.   

And Hey Stockguru, remember when you wanted to buy Wendys last week at about $19?  Hopefully I talked you out of it.  I'll pick up a few shares today.  Yeah I know every damn thing is on sale and anything restaurant can keep getting stupider while the market is panicking.  WEN is one of my favorite low dollar stocks with an above average and also reliable dividend.  The chart's busted like everything else.  It's been a great trade for years.  When it gets toppy I just sell a covered call against the shares.  You get about a years worth of extra "dividends" per month until it sells itself out of your port.
(03-12-2020, 09:51 AM)Kerim Wrote:

Like most here I started buying too soon, but who knew? Fortunately, because of our 401k to IRA rollover we had plenty of cash. I am buying very small amounts per transaction and over last two weeks I deployed only about 12% of our cash reserves.
I think I'll keep buying very slowly. I wish I knew what tomorrow, next few weeks and months will bring.

.... or next few minutes???? Dow "only" 950...