Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(12-07-2020, 05:48 PM)vbin Wrote: Started a small position in LUMN.

Traded PLTR  with a new position between last weeks drop and today's run up and took out my investment from last week(still keeping my initial position). Same, getting ready for AIRBNB. not buying if they IPO at even more crazy valuation compared to SNOW. I am guessing the stock will open way higher than $62 though. is there a any way I can get a pre-ipo deal  or ipo price, lol.
Open a full service brokerage account and keep a substantial amount of assets in said account.  They don't seem too interested in giving a deal to penny pinching DIY investors.  I wonder why that is?  Smile
(12-07-2020, 09:41 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

Traded PLTR  with a new position between last weeks drop and today's run up and took out my investment from last week(still keeping my initial position). Same, getting ready for AIRBNB. not buying if they IPO at even more crazy valuation compared to SNOW. I am guessing the stock will open way higher than $62 though. is there a any way I can get a pre-ipo deal  or ipo price, lol.
Open a full service brokerage account and keep a substantial amount of assets in said account.  They don't seem too interested in giving a deal to penny pinching DIY investors.  I wonder why that is?  Smile
How much would be that substantial amount? Which brokerages? Can you share.more.specifics please ?
Just had our bi-monthly investor club meeting.

We decided to sell our GIS and THO to open new positions in TWLO, PLTR, and CRWD and we are also making add-on purchases in ETSY and BA.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(12-07-2020, 11:56 PM)EricL Wrote: Just had our bi-monthly investor club meeting.

We decided to sell our GIS and THO to open new positions in TWLO, PLTR, and CRWD and we are also making add-on purchases in ETSY and BA.
I have been trying BA as well. Can you share more details on the other 3 if possible. Your article would be a nice read too if you plan to write one. Smile.
PLTR has performed nicely. I picked up 150 shares right after they went public for $10. Unfortunately I sold too early and only locked in a modest profit. Still on the fence about purchasing AirBNB and Doordash, I may initiate small positions based on the open price. Also Robinhood is expected to go public next year which may be an interesting play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(12-07-2020, 10:29 PM)vbin Wrote:

How much would be that substantial amount? Which brokerages? Can you share.more.specifics please ?
Unfortunately I can't.  I am talking ancient history.  I have relatives that paid fees to have their money managed for decades and they got cheap shares now and then.  Krispy Creme comes to mind.  Cuz made a fortune and knew about as much about the market as a current Robinhooder with a month's experience.  Smile  Whatever major brokerage house launched the IPO received a large allotment of shares as part of the process. It was the very large Wall Street firms of the day who dispersed them to the local brokerages who could reward their customers that paid a lot of fees over the years.    

I don't know how they do it today, but if all you had to do was throw $10K in a new account to get true IPO price everyone would be doing it.  I'm sure somebody on this board knows how it works today.
(12-07-2020, 11:56 PM)EricL Wrote: Just had our bi-monthly investor club meeting.

I have fond memories of my early days in an investment club.  Unfortunately after a few years it became like most clubs where one or two did all the work and you had to pester people to make even a tiny monthly investment or show up for a meeting.  They missed out as we were paying 25 bucks a share for future Aristocrats and learning to invest. Sad

Added a few more shares of VSTO and continue to build a position before spring. Sold 20% of my PFE and have a few more covered calls sold. I've literally held PFE for 25 years. Apologies for being nothing but a swing trader. I should learn to be more patient. Smile My wife has a small ROTH IRA account that is 100% PFE and dripping for decades. I don't even have the online password for the account anymore lol. I should probably dump those shares sometime soon.
(12-07-2020, 10:29 PM)vbin Wrote:

If you are an accredited investor, you can register with sites like Sharespost and purchase shares in companies like PLTR and ABNB before they IPO. 

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/a/acc...vestor.asp

A little late to the party aren't you  Big Grin

The tech bubble has officially started lol. 

BA a good buy as I added more as well this morning. 

CRWD and TWLO have been monster stocks, but they were on sale a month ago.  TWLO from $266 to $315 and CRWD FROM $126 to $177 

I see all these tech being bought up but the real winners will be MSFT, AMZN and FB which are all basing right now

NOW a good one as well as TTWO 

Eric is not like you to chase stocks  Big Grin
Added COST, HD, NEE and BA

No tech until a 12-15% decline lol
(12-08-2020, 10:39 AM)kblake Wrote: Added COST, HD, NEE and BA

I agree that tech needs to come down. I wont chase those names either with those rocket ships lol

But there is opportunity in the tech space. I recently been adding to CRM, BABA and today SPLK 

AAPL, PYPL and AVGO also added last month so they have done well. Everyone wants tech but a certain point you just cant buy because everyone else is  Big Grin Patience is hard to come by in this space.

Buy the good ones when they are down 

But if its just 1-2 shares here and there and you average in you will be fine!!
(12-08-2020, 10:39 AM)kblake Wrote: Added COST, HD, NEE and BA

Congrats on all those dirt cheap fundamental value purchases.   It's been like a month since they were so cheap.  J/K but this is getting harder lol.  Smile