Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Looking to grab more of the following ASAP:

HP
ARLP
What price do you think is a good entry point for ARLP

(10-15-2014, 07:20 AM)rapidacid Wrote: Looking to grab more of the following ASAP:

HP
ARLP

What price do you think is a good entry point for ALRP

(10-15-2014, 07:20 AM)rapidacid Wrote: Looking to grab more of the following ASAP:

HP
ARLP
I've got an itchy trigger finger right now -- love to see all this red! Considering adding some XOM or starting first ever positions in:

BRK-B
IBM
V
(10-15-2014, 11:48 AM)TomK Wrote: I've got an itchy trigger finger right now --

Me too Tom but nothing I'm interested in is cooperating today.

Had to add to this after looking at my lists.

There's several I would be adding to or opening a position in: RTN, JNJ, EMR, COP and ITW to name a few. Problem is not enough cash to spread around. Not selling anything here just to buy something else. Guess I may miss some bargains this time around.

For you youngsters, I'd seriously be looking at PH, LECO or VMI here. All are low yield but steady, long term growers so there's time to compound your way to wealth. PH especially.

ETA: Part 3 ---- Is anyone laughing at the panicky headlines on the financial sites today? OMG, we're almost down to last April's levels. I think I should hang myself from from the yardarm. All I keep thinking is can I get an advance on my dividends so I can drip them now. Who knows where we'll be in Nov & Dec.

Still have limit orders in on HP, GE and ESV but damn if they are holding their own with the carnage all around them.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

DW, thoughts on HP? It was sinking long before crude price decline. I kept looking for terrible news but FlexRig orders seemed fine and I couldn't find any overtly bad news other than it's a drilling contractor in the same universe as SDRL and RIG and those offshore folk.

HP has bubbled from ~6 on my quant list a month or two ago to #1 now, mainly due to bumped yield and low PE.
Well, last I looked the sonovabitch was up 4% today whilst the rest of the industry was falling apart. What do I see? 40 years of dividend growth, very low debt, innovative with the Flex-Rig AC drive platform that has some intellectual property protection, knowledgeable and conservative management that tends make sure they have visibility on a cash stream before they build new rigs. Yield has always been low but now it's quite adequate. Overall, I think they are the class act in on-shore operators. Look back at their financials.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

(10-15-2014, 12:18 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: For you youngsters, I'd seriously be looking at PH, LECO or VMI here. All are low yield but steady, long term growers so there's time to compound your way to wealth. PH especially.

I looked at PH but I couldn't find a story to distinguish them from the rest of the industrial conglomerates. What's the investment thesis? Maybe they deserve a thread?
dan,

When I was writing that, it was below $100 and I see it closed above again. IIRC, they stay pretty much around 10% growth. They get hammered in a recession but, since the make the nuts & bolts of a lot of things, they come out of it pretty quick. Boring field but they have their fingers in tons of machinery. 58 years of dividend growth counts for something also. So, in my book, when P/E gets in the low teens, it gets interesting. Too bad the yield is so low. If I had a couple decades, compounding around 10% over that time period starts getting interesting.

I like BDX for the same reason but, alas, the same low dividend yield.
=====

HP
ARLP

Since the time I wrote that yesterday those two are up a combined 20%. So much for screaming deals.
(10-16-2014, 02:28 PM)rapidacid Wrote:

HP
ARLP

Since the time I wrote that yesterday those two are up a combined 20%. So much for screaming deals.

Don't you hate that? My standing order for HP missed by less than $1.00. Angry
=====

Not today, but end of last week I initiated a small starter position in Apple. Whaaaat? A tech company for a dividend growth investor? Apple started issuing dividends in 2012 and has already raised it 15% in 2013 and 8% in 2014. Current payout is 30%. I think over the long term, Apple will continue raising dividends and envision a similar stock performance as MSFT from the yesteryears - but even better Smile
Roadmap.

Do you feel that AAPL could continue to sell it's high-end products during a recession?