Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dividend Turtle Portfolio
(11-02-2014, 01:12 PM)Be Here Now Wrote:
(11-01-2014, 08:41 AM)alexg Wrote: Finally updated my portfolio page. I use M* to track my portfolio (free version) so I copied the data over instead of using an image.
http://www.focusondividends.com/portfolio/

I have some suggestions for your 'Portfolio Total' line.

In the 'Dividend Yield %' column, compute the current yield of your portfolio. The number you show seems strange. It is not the total dividend $s as I compute them: (981.87 x .0249) + (1135.24 x .028) = 24.45 + 31.79 = 56.24. The current yield is 56.24 / (986.40 + 1160.52) = 2.62%.

In the 'P/E (ttm)' column, compute the capitalization weighted average P/E. This is the P/E of your portfolio. The number you show is the arithmetic average, which is not the same as cap weighted and so not the true P/E of your portfolio. The arithmetic average will only match the cap weighted average if you have exactly the same market value in each position.

You can add some other interesting stuff from your M* portfolio, such as 3 year beta and 3 year standard deviation. You can compute the cap weighted values for your entire portfolio.

You can do all of this if you have Excel. Export an Excel spreadsheet from your portfolio view and then add columns to perform the computations as needed. I do all of this stuff, and having M* is a big help. I would never compute beta and standard deviation on my own.

(11-02-2014, 01:12 PM)Be Here Now Wrote:
(11-01-2014, 08:41 AM)alexg Wrote: Finally updated my portfolio page. I use M* to track my portfolio (free version) so I copied the data over instead of using an image.
http://www.focusondividends.com/portfolio/

I have some suggestions for your 'Portfolio Total' line.

In the 'Dividend Yield %' column, compute the current yield of your portfolio. The number you show seems strange. It is not the total dividend $s as I compute them: (981.87 x .0249) + (1135.24 x .028) = 24.45 + 31.79 = 56.24. The current yield is 56.24 / (986.40 + 1160.52) = 2.62%.

In the 'P/E (ttm)' column, compute the capitalization weighted average P/E. This is the P/E of your portfolio. The number you show is the arithmetic average, which is not the same as cap weighted and so not the true P/E of your portfolio. The arithmetic average will only match the cap weighted average if you have exactly the same market value in each position.

You can add some other interesting stuff from your M* portfolio, such as 3 year beta and 3 year standard deviation. You can compute the cap weighted values for your entire portfolio.

You can do all of this if you have Excel. Export an Excel spreadsheet from your portfolio view and then add columns to perform the computations as needed. I do all of this stuff, and having M* is a big help. I would never compute beta and standard deviation on my own.

I'm attaching an image to help explain.

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-03-2014, 01:06 PM)Be Here Now Wrote:
(11-03-2014, 12:34 PM)alexg Wrote: Be Here Now,
Seems like M* uses "Current Market Value" as oppose to the "Total Cost" that your using, thus the discrepancies.

I am not following your logic. Please expand.

Thanks for that catch, I inadvertently used the wrong column. I do know the difference!

However, the number you show as the portfolio total for dividend yield % is incorrect. Your portfolio does not yield 60.32%.

I hope some of my suggestions can be of use.
Should be fixed now. I would love to do this in Excel but find it pretty easy to insert transactions in M*. I don't believe in Beta or standard deviation ....
(11-03-2014, 03:36 PM)alexg Wrote: Should be fixed now. I would love to do this in Excel but find it pretty easy to insert transactions in M*. I don't believe in Beta or standard deviation ....

I find that high volatility is Mr Market's way of offering screaming bargains. Not often, but frequently enough for me. One excellent measure of volatility is the VIX, but it applies to the broad market. I like to use it to know when to buy when others are fearful, but by itself it does not say anything about individual stocks.

Beta and standard deviation are volatility measures that supposedly capture risk for individual stocks. I don't use beta because it does not capture true volatility but M* provides it so what the heck, maybe I'm wrong.

Standard deviation is a much better measure of volatility for individual stocks than beta. I am following it for individual stocks and for my portfolio as a whole to see if I can gain any insights, perhaps in relation to extremes in the VIX. Who knows?
I always seen the VIX as simply a trading vehicle. In my opinion, there's no point to it. If you want to buy when others are fearful, simply wait for prices to drop. For me at least, it's that simple. It didn't take a "volatility indicator" for me to realize crude oil has dropped from $107 to $80 in a couple of weeks and bringing the whole energy sector with it. So there's bound to be bargains and so far I found a couple (XOM/CVX). Other's feel RIG, DO, etc. are also a bargain but I haven't looked into those yet.

Now sure, there will be volatility in the stock price but that's short term noise IMO and i'm willing to hold through it.
Wrote this quick and fun article before heading out to work. Dividend Investing on Shark Tank Smile

http://www.focusondividends.com/90/what-...investing/
Added CVX this morning at $119.4299+$7 commission. Right after my purchase, the stock fell $1, nice lol
Boy, there surely are plenty of very anal spread sheet loving stats guys on these boards. Not offered as a complaint, but certainly seems to be a time consuming preoccupation, that has very little constructive value. Perhaps there is some motivating value, in looking at all of those numbers as they increase in value.

But I keep a very limited SS consisting of TICKER, current price, shares held, current value, yearly dividend amount, market yield, weighting. I pay very little attention to c.g.'s. I'm only thinking a couple of things. Why did I buy the stock? Is that reason still valid? Is there a better alternative for the position? My method is more of a KISS [keep it simple stupid] kind of approach. There is not too much to think about. There is no particular love or affection for any holding.
Alex
I don't use spreadsheets. I use Morningstar's free portfolio manager to track my portfolio (see figures above). As for time consumption? It takes literally 1 minute to insert the date, price paid, commission and # of shares.

Other than the occasional purchase, I don't look at it throughout the day or week.
Added BBL today. Wanted to get away from the commodities space but everything else appears overvalued.