Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOOGL
Does anyone own any GOOGL? Although, I would like to see price retreat back into the $450 range, I would consider adding GOOGL as a buy and hold.
I've always had an itch to own some Google, just as a long-term speculation. Have no idea about valuation at all, but imagine that they might one day rule the world. But I've never pulled the trigger.
(12-17-2014, 07:55 PM)Kerim Wrote: I've always had an itch to own some Google, just as a long-term speculation. Have no idea about valuation at all, but imagine that they might one day rule the world. But I've never pulled the trigger.

We share similar beliefs. I like that they are starting to branch out and diversifying into other areas, -ie, acquiring Nest, etc.
(12-21-2014, 02:49 PM)DRILLINDK Wrote:
(12-17-2014, 07:55 PM)Kerim Wrote: I've always had an itch to own some Google, just as a long-term speculation. Have no idea about valuation at all, but imagine that they might one day rule the world. But I've never pulled the trigger.

We share similar beliefs. I like that they are starting to branch out and diversifying into other areas, -ie, acquiring Nest, etc.

Same here.
But it's 26 P/E and doesn't pay a dividend which puts me off.
I only own 1 stock that doesn't pay a dividend and that's LLOY and they'll be paying from next year.

There's no guarantee that GOOGL will pay any dividend soon. It's puting it's money into use by entering other sectors, who knows when this will stop?

They always seem to find someway to use their money bar paying dividends Tongue

For me... being 21 I'm tempted but will hang fire until there's a clearer timeline/vison of when dividend payments will start Smile

Hope this makes sense Smile
As long as GOOGLE is putting its money into smart high margin areas, the total return should be much greater than had the same cash gone toward dividend payments. I'm considering shares myself at the next sub $500 opportunity. At some point I wouldn't be surprised to see Google go a similar route to that of Apple with share split and with substantial dividend policy.
Alex
Also started watching Google recently. The lack of a dividend doesn't really bother me. I've learned to see dividends as just one form of capital allocation, which of course is desirable and the basis of our strategy here, but not necessarily the best if management has better plans. Google management is famous for creating an environment where self-motivated employees acting with sufficient autonomy to explore daring ideas find disruptive ways to deploy capital effectively for the long term.

Since I added it to my SA watch list the other day, there has been an article arguing that the search business will continue growing rapidly and bringing in massive amounts of cash, and an article arguing that management quality has crashed, as evidenced by all the pure Android phones being out of stock on their website for months. So lots of research to do before I "buy the management" here.